A. Comprehension questions
1. How did Major Hewson find civilian life?
2. What were he and his wife living on?
3. What was the Major's first job when he arrived at the office?
4. Does Major Hewson smoke?
5. What does Major Hewson want to see before he gives Mrs.
Carruthers her free trial lesson?
6. Why did Major Hewson tell Mrs. Carruthers she would have
to take the full course?
7. Why did Lucy Chalmers wear a wig for her driving test?
8. What side of the road was Mr. Green driving on?
9. Who did the Major think the three middle-aged ladies were?
10. What did they want?
B. Use the words in the list to complete the following sentences:
1. He found civilian life dull and _____.
2. He needed some _____ money.
3. How many times have you taken the _____?
4. I had an accident at a _____ crossing.
5. Miss Chalmers is a ______ driver.
6. The _____ made Lucy sign a declaration.
7. The Major is a very good _____.
8. Three _____ ladies walked into the office.
C. Change the following sentences into indirect speech:
"I'm coming home," said the Major.
The Major said (that) he was coming home.
1. "I find civilian life dull and boring," said the Major.
2. "I'll open my own school of motoring," he said.
3. "I think I can fit you (Mrs. Carruthers) in for a trial
lesson," said the Major.
4. "I'm sure she'll pass," said the Major.
5. "I'm not talking about her driving," said Mary.
6. "I think a wig looks very businesslike," said Lucy.
7. "Do you (Lucy) know the Highway Code?" the examiner
8. "I'll tell everyone what a good instructor you are," said
D. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate adjective or adverb:
Adjectives Adverbs Adjectives Adverbs
happy _____________ provisional ________
_____ unfortunately ___________ safely
early _____________ capable ________
_____ precisely late ________
sad _____________ ___________ smoothly
_____ slowly terrible ________
If you have any English grammar or vocabulary questions,
please post them on this English Grammar Forum.