Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

after the usual or expected time; tardily; recently; far on time; formerly
easy
small
late
either
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of "losing her grip"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Difference between deserted and abandoned | Why I can't use "do you feel hungry"?
listening exercisestell a friend
Meaning of "losing her grip" #1 (permalink) Sat Jul 01, 2006 16:56 pm   Meaning of "losing her grip"

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #11 "Losing It", question 7

After only a few weeks as a teacher of very badly behaved children she realized she was losing her grip.

(a) losing her point
(b) losing her purpose
(c) losing her control
(d) losing her feelings

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #11 "Losing It", answer 7

After only a few weeks as a teacher of very badly behaved children she realized she was losing her control.

Correct answer: (c) losing her control

what's meaning of losing her grip?

Jopan
Jopan

Meaning of "losing her grip" #2 (permalink) Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:51 am   Meaning of "losing her grip"

lose one's grip. Also. lose it.

Fail to maintain control or one's ability to function, as in Ted wasn't running things the way he used to, and his boss thought he might be losing his grip, or I thought I was losing it when I couldn't remember the words to that old song. The first term dates from the mid-1800s, the slangy variant from the mid-1900s.

Fail to keep one's composure, as in When Billy broke the window, Dad just lost his grip and let him have it, or I just can't deal with this many visitors I must be losing it. [Slang; first half of 1900s].

(courtesy of Dictionary.com)

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between deserted and abandoned | Why I can't use "do you feel hungry"?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Meaning of detersMeaning of estheticianMeaning of reelsShoudn't it be 'his students' instead of 'their students'?Must be wealthy VERSUS must be millionaireMeaning of "the spirit of the season"Explanation of 'pigeonhole'"rise up" vs. "get up"Meaning of 'mitigate'Meaning of idiom: "didn't bat an eyelid""for dinner" vs. "in dinner"Meaning of "close for"Can i use "while" instead of "but"?