person who runs a company; director; administrator; supervisor
collectible
manager
vacancy
whereas

Meaning of "executive assistant"

Talk to vs. talk about | Did you hear
Meaning of "executive assistant" #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:26 am   Meaning of "executive assistant"

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #22 "Double Speak in Job Titles", question 2

Linda got a job as an executive assistant in a Law Firm.

(a) a manager
(b) a business partner
(c) clerk
(d) secretary

ESL/EFL Test #22 "Double Speak in Job Titles", answer 2

Linda got a job as secretary in a Law Firm.

Correct answer: (d) secretary
_________________________

what is executive assistant?

Lopez
Lopez

Meaning of "executive assistant" #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:33 am   Meaning of "executive assistant"

.
An executive assistant is a glorified secretary, Lopez. Take a look HERE.

Definition
secretarial and administrative worker for executive: somebody employed to perform secretarial and administrative tasks for a business executive who has many responsibilities
.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
definition of an executive assistant #3 (permalink) Fri Nov 14, 2008 14:30 pm   definition of an executive assistant

While I may agree with the semantics of the post, the reality is the definition of what an executive assistant does is VERY different than that of an executive secretary.

Typically an executive secretary supports only one person and is just that, a secretary. They do not display initiative to help other executives nor do they take on other projects - all they basically do is answer the one executive's phone and type letters and memos dictated by that one executive.

An executive assistant is capable of multi-tasking, supporting many executives at once in addition to serving as an office manager and project manager.

Both positions require a high degree of discretion and confidentiality, however, executive secretaries rarely go farther than that role whereas executive assistants go on to become department heads, senior level managers and even CEOs!
Aramorra

There is a difference! #4 (permalink) Fri Jan 16, 2009 14:05 pm   There is a difference!

I know first hand simply because it's not my ideal line of work, but here I am. I also know others that have a pure skill of organizing, scheduling, and multitasking important duties that job specific employees can't seem to get a handle on.

A general administrative assistant {'secretary' isn't used because it tends to have gender bias} and an executive administrative assistant prevent job specific employees from being distracted from their work. Think - a brick laying company stopping to fill out days worth of forms when an assistant could have it all ready for a two minute signature and off before the deadline!!!!

The executive assistant gets to have 'intern' type work. There are VERY important documents that get processed through this person. If they are interested in the executive's field - this is a great place to start. Which brings me to a general assistant who gets to do a little of everything very methodically and quickly, but the overall duties are need based - this is a great job for secondary income or second retirement.

I once read a story that a very famous company's executive assistant tried to sell trade secrets....gen. assts. wouldn't have been this close!! The trust that managers have for the ex. asst. shows a lot for future jobs and potential. I can't go around saying who a potential hire is - a gen. asst. can process incoming personnel. But both of us have plenty of daunting paperwork.
Nick24seven

Meaning of "executive assistant" #5 (permalink) Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:42 am   Meaning of "executive assistant"

The executive assistant gets to have 'intern' type work. There are VERY important documents that get processed through this person. If they are interested in the executive's field - this is a great place to start.
Ashisgar

Meaning of "executive assistant" #6 (permalink) Sun Sep 04, 2011 22:29 pm   Meaning of "executive assistant"

You would call such employees; secretary, executive secretary, administrator, coodinator, office assistant, executive assistant, GM assistant, ...
I'm one of those. "names" are all we got.

Executive assistant is the one who does the paperwork and the communications required.
The one would start working as a secretary .. just typing documents, filing, appointing, faxing, receiving / making calls ..
then ending up with selling, purchasing, hiring, firing, calculating, fixing, ..
and in the worst case (also) dusting, dishing, making tea and putting the ash try infront of the smoker guests.

.. the one would find himself takes over everything. And whatever you do .. like never enough.
That is in short the meaning of "executive assistant".

Don't read from those dictionaries. Just ask who've been through.
Puppet

Talk to vs. talk about | Did you hear
all the time he's taking it all in.I have a bad coldOne more newcomer…at harvest timeMoney is a non-count noun.could you explain to me the difference between bring to and bring overMeaning of eagerFall to = to come by lot or chanceDifference between I used to and I was used to?Meaning of 'since then'Less expensiveNot necessaryLittle more detail