Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

agreement; business transaction; exchange; amount
semester
consultant
labor
deal
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does let on mean? | Distinctions between error and mistake
listening exercisestell a friend
Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert' #1 (permalink) Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:17 pm   Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert'

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #108 "Synonyms for surrender", question 2

The island was so quiet, it looked like all living creatures had ......... it.

(a) quitted
(b) resigned
(c) deserted
(d) forgotten

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #108 "Synonyms for surrender", answer 2

The island was so quiet, it looked like all living creatures had deserted it.

Correct answer: (c) deserted

Your answer was: incorrect
The island was so quiet, it looked like all living creatures had quitted it.

Could you explain me why I can't use verb "to quit" instead of verb "to desert" in this sentence?

Jerry
Jerry

Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert' #2 (permalink) Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:43 am   Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert'

Hello,

The same question???

Thanks

Maddy
Maddy
I'm here quite often ;-)

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert' #3 (permalink) Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:50 am   Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert'

... had quit it' would just about be acceptable, but not the tense 'quitted'.
Language Coach

Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert' #4 (permalink) Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:53 am   Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert'

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

70 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi,

'Quit' has the sense of leave behind or go away from but is most associated with leaving with a certain amount of feeling as in: He was so angry with his employers that he quit his post as director the following day. 'Desert' again has the idea of leave behind but usually suggests you leave something and as a result you show that you no longer want to support someone or something as in: Thousands of people deserted the political party when the new leader took over. That is the sense expressed in the test sentence indicating that no one wanted to live there any longer. The word 'deserter' is used for someone who leaves the army without permission. The adjective 'deserted' describes a place that is empty where there is no one present as in: At midnight everyone is at home and the town square is deserted.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert' #5 (permalink) Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:06 am   Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert'

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

66 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi,

While I was slaving away with my answer, I see the ubiquitous Bev slipped a quick one in and having read it, I wonder what is behind this comment:....
Quote:
had quit it' would just about be acceptable, but not the tense 'quitted'.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert' #6 (permalink) Sat Nov 19, 2011 13:26 pm   Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert'

Dear Friends!
"After her husband's death, Marion was desperate and surrendered all hope for a better future". Explain me, please. Why the verb "surrender" has been chosen? In my opinion it will be better choosing the verb "lose".
"After her husband's death, Marion was desperate and lost all hope for a better future"
Issa1
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert' #7 (permalink) Sat Nov 19, 2011 13:34 pm   Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert'

It's the writer's personal choice. Both verbs are fine.

'Surrendered' has more of an idea of Marion going through the action of giving up hope, whereas 'lost' carries the idea that it has simply gone.

"Explain to me..." not "explain me..."
Language Coach

Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert' #8 (permalink) Sat Nov 19, 2011 15:11 pm   Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert'

Dear Beeesneees!
Thanks! Explain to me, please, what does it mean "lay-buy".
Issa1
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert' #9 (permalink) Sat Nov 19, 2011 15:18 pm   Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert'

Do you mean 'lay-by'?

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/lay-by
Language Coach

Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert' #10 (permalink) Sat Nov 19, 2011 17:10 pm   Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert'

Beeesneees wrote:

Hello,

I don't follow you, isn't quitted the past participle of quit??? Please explain to me.

Maddy
Maddy
I'm here quite often ;-)

Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert' #11 (permalink) Sat Nov 19, 2011 18:42 pm   Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert'

Hi Maddy,

My question, too but so far unanswered. 'Quitted' is an alternative for 'quit' in the past simple and past participle.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert' #12 (permalink) Sat Nov 19, 2011 22:57 pm   Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert'

Maddy wrote:
Beeesneees wrote:

Hello,

I don't follow you, isn't quitted the past participle of quit??? Please explain to me.

Maddy

'Quit' has two past forms: both quit and quitted may be considered correct.
'had quitted it' simply sounds wrong in this context.
'had quite it' sounds slightly (though only slightly) more feasible.

http://conjugator.reverso.net/conjugation-english-verb-quit.html
Language Coach

Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert' #13 (permalink) Sat Nov 19, 2011 23:36 pm   Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert'

I can't honestly see that feasibility has anything to do with it. The point is that 'quit' 'quitted' 'had quitted/had quit' is the wrong verb in that test sentence. And that's why I was at pains to explain the difference between 'quit' and 'desert' above.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert' #14 (permalink) Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:50 am   Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert'

Beeesneees wrote:
Maddy wrote:
Beeesneees wrote:

Hello,

Maddy

'Quit' has two past forms: both quit and quitted may be considered correct.
'had quitted it' simply sounds wrong in this context.
'had quite it' sounds slightly (though only slightly) more feasible.

http://conjugator.reverso.net/conjugation-english-verb-quit.html

thank you.
Maddy
I'm here quite often ;-)

Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert' #15 (permalink) Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:52 am   Using the verb 'to quit' instead of verb the 'to desert'

Alan wrote:
I can't honestly see that feasibility has anything to do with it. The point is that 'quit' 'quitted' 'had quitted/had quit' is the wrong verb in that test sentence. And that's why I was at pains to explain the difference between 'quit' and 'desert' above.

Alan

Thank you for your answer.
Maddy
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does let on mean? | Distinctions between error and mistake
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
remove desire, ill will and ignorancetake off earlysaw a bull rider in actionAre they both correct?What does 'vicious' mean?a conundrumWhat does marked down mean?What is the meaning of "look up"?What does "butter up" mean?What is squint?What does write up mean?phrasal verb: look after vs. look in onIt is correct "... you must wear ..."?