to finish; to infer; to deduce; to make a decision
conclude
lend
allot
presume

Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world)

comedy vs. tragedy | Are interested proteins and proteins of interest interchangable?
Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world) #1 (permalink) Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:51 am   Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world)

ESL/EFL Test #3 "If you tend to forget", question 2

This is a very expensive holiday intended for those with plenty of money as it involves a trip ......... the world.

(a) through
(b) along
(c) about
(d) around

ESL/EFL Test #3 "If you tend to forget", answer 2

This is a very expensive holiday intended for those with plenty of money as it involves a trip around the world.

Correct answer: (d) around
_________________________

what does "around the world'" mean?

Konakis
Konakis

Around #2 (permalink) Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:56 am   Around

Around the world (or round the world) means visiting every place in the world - go east or go west and keep going until you come back to where you started.

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world) #3 (permalink) Wed Aug 12, 2009 13:56 pm   Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world)

little off topic: why it is "as it involves " instead of "as it includes" ? the word "involve" has different meaning and I don't see relation with the meaning of the sentence.
Insomnia_f

Location: Bulgaria

Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world) #4 (permalink) Wed Aug 12, 2009 17:01 pm   Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world)

involve meaning include.

So the word involved is used to identify that the money is needed for the trip around the world.

I hope this will help.
Robmars

Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world) #5 (permalink) Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:47 am   Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world)

Hi teachers,
Can you tell me the meaning of "intended for those" in this sentence?
Alouette

Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world) #6 (permalink) Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:55 am   Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world)

Hi Alouette,

'Intended for those' in the test sentence suggests that the holiday is planned/arranged for these people. In other words these are the people who would be able to pay for this holiday.

_________________

Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world) #7 (permalink) Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:08 am   Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world)

Thank Mr. Alan, now it's clear for me :D
Alouette

Two wrongs don't make a right?What does no two ways about it mean?You're being very unfair to us!What does zoom out mean?What does 'try your luck' mean?After 'tell' we always have to put an object or in that case a personnel pronounsdelivered vs. transportedNever give up?the difference between home and houseWhat are knitted mitts?expedient vs expertWhat does "be away from danger" mean?difference between whom and whose?