Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to finish; to infer; to deduce; to make a decision
conclude
lend
allot
presume
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world)

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
comedy vs. tragedy | Are interested proteins and proteins of interest interchangable?
listening exercisestell a friend
Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world) #1 (permalink) Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:51 am   Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world)

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #3 "If you tend to forget", question 2

This is a very expensive holiday intended for those with plenty of money as it involves a trip ......... the world.

(a) through
(b) along
(c) about
(d) around

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #3 "If you tend to forget", answer 2

This is a very expensive holiday intended for those with plenty of money as it involves a trip around the world.

Correct answer: (d) around

what does "around the world'" mean?

Konakis
Konakis

Around #2 (permalink) Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:56 am   Around

Hi,

Around the world (or round the world) means visiting every place in the world - go east or go west and keep going until you come back to where you started.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world) #3 (permalink) Wed Aug 12, 2009 13:56 pm   Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world)

little off topic: why it is "as it involves " instead of "as it includes" ? the word "involve" has different meaning and I don't see relation with the meaning of the sentence.
Insomnia_f
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world) #4 (permalink) Wed Aug 12, 2009 17:01 pm   Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world)

involve meaning include.

So the word involved is used to identify that the money is needed for the trip around the world.

I hope this will help.
Robmars
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world) #5 (permalink) Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:47 am   Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world)

Hi teachers,
Can you tell me the meaning of "intended for those" in this sentence?
Alouette

Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world) #6 (permalink) Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:55 am   Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world)

Hi Alouette,

Quote:
This is a very expensive holiday intended for those with plenty of money as it involves a trip around the world.

'Intended for those' in the test sentence suggests that the holiday is planned/arranged for these people. In other words these are the people who would be able to pay for this holiday.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world) #7 (permalink) Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:08 am   Meaning of 'Around the world' (round the world)

Thank Mr. Alan, now it's clear for me :D
Alouette

comedy vs. tragedy | Are interested proteins and proteins of interest interchangable?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Two wrongs don't make a right?What does no two ways about it mean?You're being very unfair to us!What does zoom out mean?What does 'try your luck' mean?After 'tell' we always have to put an object or in that case a personnel pronounsdelivered vs. transportedNever give up?the difference between home and houseWhat are knitted mitts?expedient vs expertWhat does "be away from danger" mean?difference between whom and whose?