Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

foods and other goods sold at a small supermarket or store
groceries
imperative
counsel
provision
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

I hear vs. I am hearing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
I see her every day (present simple) | Meaning of 'no problem'
listening exercisestell a friend
I hear vs. I am hearing #31 (permalink) Sun Apr 04, 2010 20:18 pm   I hear vs. I am hearing

Hi,

'I am listening' is perfectly acceptable and suggests - 'I am paying attention carefully to what you are saying'.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

I hear vs. I am hearing #32 (permalink) Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:54 am   I hear vs. I am hearing

Hi Hellofriend,

I don't really follow what you mean by
Quote:
we should use 'listen to' not 'am listening to
. When you think about it, by using ''what you are saying', you are describing what is happening now. It therefore follows, doesn't it? that you say 'I am listening' because the use of 'I listen' suggests either habitual action or a statement of fact. Neither links with the following 'you are saying'.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
I hear vs. I am hearing #33 (permalink) Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:21 pm   I hear vs. I am hearing

Hello Alan sir,

Thanks a lot for your reply. First of all I am sorry, my question was not clear.

'I ....... what you are saying but that still doesn't make me want to change my mind one little bit.'
Quote:
Technically 'I hear what you are saying' and 'I am hearing what you are saying' have the same meaning. But saying 'I am hearing' is like saying 'that red firetruck is red'. It's not that 'am hearing' is wrong, it's just unnecessary.

As you and OxfordBlues explained that in above question why 'I hear' is more appropriate answer than 'I am hearing'.

Same way I want to ask you that if question is
'I ....... to what you are saying but that still doesn't make me want to change my mind one little bit.'.
What is the correct answer 'listen' or 'am listening' and why ?

Quote:
When you think about it, by using ''what you are saying', you are describing what is happening now. It therefore follows, doesn't it? that you say 'I am listening' because the use of 'I listen' suggests either habitual action or a statement of fact. Neither links with the following 'you are saying'.

This is not clear to me can you please explain.

Thanks a lot again
Hellofriend
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

I hear vs. I am hearing #34 (permalink) Mon Apr 05, 2010 13:57 pm   I hear vs. I am hearing

Don't be so serious like that, Hellofriend. You just want to know that listening is acceptable but hearing in this sense is not. Use your dictionary to get more information. Remember that dictionary is the most trusted teacher.

I hear vs. I am hearing #35 (permalink) Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:45 am   I hear vs. I am hearing

Hello Mr. Wanderer,

Thanks a lot for your reply and suggestion also. I agree with you that dictionary is the most trusted teacher. Can you please tell me which dictionary i should use.
Hellofriend

I hear vs. I am hearing #36 (permalink) Wed Apr 07, 2010 14:08 pm   I hear vs. I am hearing

Hello Alan sir,

It's not clear to me what you mean by
Quote:
When you think about it, by using ''what you are saying', you are describing what is happening now. It therefore follows, doesn't it? that you say 'I am listening' because the use of 'I listen' suggests either habitual action or a statement of fact. Neither links with the following 'you are saying'.
Hellofriend

I hear vs. I am hearing #37 (permalink) Wed Apr 07, 2010 19:55 pm   I hear vs. I am hearing

Hi,

I am referring to the clash between the Present Simple and the Present Continuous.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

I hear vs. I am hearing #38 (permalink) Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:49 am   I hear vs. I am hearing

Hello Alan sir,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Hellofriend

I hear vs. I am hearing #39 (permalink) Sun Apr 18, 2010 21:45 pm   I hear vs. I am hearing

Thank you for explanation.
Simple777

I hear vs. I am hearing #40 (permalink) Wed Jun 09, 2010 18:36 pm   I hear vs. I am hearing

I think you sajad pasha, you should learn some grammar books, it will make your grammar better.
Ducanh.hut

I hear vs. I am hearing #41 (permalink) Thu Jul 01, 2010 23:47 pm   I hear vs. I am hearing

Thanks Alan.

Faria
Faria

Hear #42 (permalink) Sat Jul 10, 2010 23:39 pm   Hear

Hi Alen
Why "am hearing" is incorrect?
u said it's not common. can u explain it more?
Amaygoli

I hear vs. I am hearing #43 (permalink) Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:28 am   I hear vs. I am hearing

Hi Amaygoli,

'I am hearing' suggests either that certain sounds are coming into your ear or that stories about someone or information about someone/something are reaching you.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

I hear vs. I am hearing #44 (permalink) Wed Aug 04, 2010 15:44 pm   I hear vs. I am hearing

Hi!
why do I have to use Hear, and not I'm hearing?
Because I'm hearing what the other person are saying,
Dhieniffer

I hear vs. I am hearing #45 (permalink) Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:59 am   I hear vs. I am hearing

I don´t understand why is not possible to use "am hearing" in the sentence, I hope you can help me.

Best regards.
Bering70

I see her every day (present simple) | Meaning of 'no problem'
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Latest topics on English Forums
Test incompl/elem-207, User's Answer 10She is the prettiest girl at school.Do Some Authors Include Deep Words with No Context Clues?Why "no cigar"?quite right vs all rightAssure vs. assertSurvive = continue to liveNo, you've lost meDifference between transpose and transferDifference between attached and includedWhat is the difference between goal and aim?Personal pronounsDifference between who and whom