Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

violent twist; violent ripping; tool for gripping or turning bolts
duplicate
personnel
fold
wrench
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

I hear vs. I am hearing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
I see her every day (present simple) | Meaning of 'no problem'
listening exercisestell a friend
I hear vs. I am hearing #46 (permalink) Mon Dec 06, 2010 15:13 pm   I hear vs. I am hearing

thanks for your suggestions. do you know, something i feel very difficult how to match the words? there are so many different words with the same meanings but different functions. . . how to overcome it? thanks
Honey5

I hear vs. I am hearing #47 (permalink) Thu Feb 10, 2011 18:24 pm   I hear vs. I am hearing

Hi Alan,
why i could'nt use HEAR instead of I AM HEARING
Mischelle2

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
I hear vs. I am hearing #48 (permalink) Thu Feb 10, 2011 18:29 pm   I hear vs. I am hearing

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

36 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi,

'I hear' means either the ability to use your ears or 'I understand'. 'I am hearing' suggests either 'there is a sound coming to my ears now' or 'information/news is coming to me'.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

I hear vs. I am hearing #49 (permalink) Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:06 am   I hear vs. I am hearing

Hi Alan

I am hearing what you are saying but that still doesn't make me want to change my mind one little bit.

This sentence sounds right to me. can you explain please
Mbulawa

I hear vs. I am hearing #50 (permalink) Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:23 pm   I hear vs. I am hearing

SIR
THIS THE SENTENCE" WOULD U MIND IF I SAT"
WHY WE USE HERE SAT ?
I M ASKING AND IT IS NOT DONE THEN WHY???????
please HELP ME I'M CONFUSED..........
Surbhijain5
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

I hear vs. I am hearing #51 (permalink) Thu May 05, 2011 8:09 am   I hear vs. I am hearing

thank u,
it is really intersting and wonderful test. i really like it
thank u for your support
Somthrel

I hear vs. I am hearing #52 (permalink) Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:49 am   I hear vs. I am hearing

I hear what you are saying but that still doesn't make me want to change my mind one little bit.

I am hearing what you are saying but that still doesn't make me want to change my mind one little bit.

what are the basic differences between these two sentences?
Rajsingarpur

I hear vs. I am hearing #53 (permalink) Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:22 am   I hear vs. I am hearing

'I am hearing' is more 'active', but in natural conversation the difference is not significant.
Language Coach

I hear vs. I am hearing #54 (permalink) Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:21 am   I hear vs. I am hearing

why we coulde not say I am hearing?
Niaz1

I hear vs. I am hearing #55 (permalink) Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:17 am   I hear vs. I am hearing

Hi Niaz1, did you read Alan's answer to your question? Also, your question should read 'Why can't we say I am hearing'?

TOEIC short conversations: New colleague
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

I hear vs. I am hearing #56 (permalink) Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:35 am   I hear vs. I am hearing

yeah i read before but i still can't understand why we do not use am hearing?
Niaz1

I hear vs. I am hearing #57 (permalink) Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:38 am   I hear vs. I am hearing

Because both expressions have different meanings as Alan has explained. By the way, the personal pronoun I is always capitalized.

TOEIC short conversations: Two co-workers are discussing their career plans
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

I hear vs. I am hearing #58 (permalink) Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:38 am   I hear vs. I am hearing

Dear sajjad,

"I am hearing" means you are still hearing and cannot take the decision like "still doesn't make me want to change my mind one little bit" but "I hear" means you have listen to what is being said and in the position to make your decision.

I am not good in english and tried to explain what i think may be the difference between above two sentences. My request to the members is please let me know if i am wrong.

Regards,
Azad
Azadkumar

I hear vs. I am hearing #59 (permalink) Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:20 am   I hear vs. I am hearing

Niaz1 wrote:
yeah i read before but i still can't understand why we do not use am hearing?

Did you read my response above, Niaz?
Informally and in modern English, you can use it.
It is a more 'active' response, emphasising that you are still going through the process of hearing.
Formally and traditionally, this tense would be considered incorrect.
Language Coach

I hear vs. I am hearing #60 (permalink) Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:03 am   I hear vs. I am hearing

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

13 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi,

This is a longstanding question that has been on the forum since 2004 and so is perhaps worth another explanation. When you say: I hear you are going to live in Spain - this means I understand that you are going to live in Spain. In other words someone has told me that.

'I am hearing' is used in a colloquial sense and often refers to gossip or indirect information that people are passing from one person to another. I would not call it incorrect but conversational. You could use it like this: I am hearing stories about you and Mary. Is it true that you two are going to get married? This is quite different from 'I hear' because the person making the remark and asking the question is not absolutely sure whether the 'information' is true or simply gossip.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

I see her every day (present simple) | Meaning of 'no problem'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Test incompl/elem-207, User's Answer 10She is the prettiest girl at school.Do Some Authors Include Deep Words with No Context Clues?Why "no cigar"?quite right vs all rightAssure vs. assertSurvive = continue to liveNo, you've lost meDifference between transpose and transferDifference between attached and includedWhat is the difference between goal and aim?Personal pronounsDifference between who and whom