to rub; to achieve or obtain with difficulty; to delete; to cross out
elect
scratch
veil
originate

What is "Light years away"?

Expression: "Condensation of one's exploits..." | What is a traditional pronoun?
What is "Light years away"? #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:49 pm   What is "Light years away"?

Could you please tell me the meaning and use of:

"Light years away"?

Thanks in advance

Yours

Light years #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:54 pm   Light years

Hi Tom,

I think you mean: Light years away. It means far, far into the future. It comes from the idea of the time it takes for the light of a star to reach planet earth. You could say; The time when man stops fighting man is sadly still light years away.

_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What is "Light years away"? #3 (permalink) Fri Jul 21, 2006 17:00 pm   What is "Light years away"?

Hi Tom

"Light years (away)" can also be used figuratively to talk about an extreme distance or difference between two things that have been compared.

_________________

What is "Light years away"? #4 (permalink) Fri Jul 21, 2006 23:29 pm   What is "Light years away"?

Dear Amy

Would you mind if I asked you to give one example each? :shock:

Many, many thanks in advance

What is "Light years away"? #5 (permalink) Sat Jul 22, 2006 0:04 am   What is "Light years away"?

Hi Tom

Off the top of my head, some figurative examples:

"Many experts say that researchers are still light-years away from a cure for AIDS."

"Their opinions are light-years apart."

_________________

What is "Light years away"? #6 (permalink) Sat Jul 22, 2006 0:06 am   What is "Light years away"?

Can't thank you enough! :D

PS: still awake :!: :?: :shock:

Must be 1:0' clock?

What is "Light years away"? #7 (permalink) Sat Jul 22, 2006 0:13 am   What is "Light years away"?

Yes, Tom, but I'll be hitting the hay shortly.
It must be much later where you are. :lol:

_________________

What is "Light years away"? #8 (permalink) Sat Jul 22, 2006 0:17 am   What is "Light years away"?

Amy wrote:
hitting the hay

You see! With this constant flow of learning who would wish to hit the hay? Well, this is a new expression for me to learn...and a beautiful one also.It is almost 5 in the morning here and I have to get up at 6:30 :D

What is "Light years away"? #9 (permalink) Sat Jul 22, 2006 0:33 am   What is "Light years away"?

You have to get up at 6:30?! Get up from your chair is more like it, I guess. :lol:
Sounds like hitting the hay won't do you much good at this point. :shock:
_________________

"Sentence" vs "A sentence"Expression: "Easy come easy go"Sentence formationA thing apartSpeak, Talk, Say, TellExpression: "Woman with a cow's eyes..."Expression: "Shed one's weight"Expression: "One who really knows..."'protect your moonlighting identity'?use the abbreviation "The Hon."Expression: 'I'm Dumbledore's man, through and through'Wuthering Heights: "An oath, and a threat..."Punctuation: "M dash"