Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to rub; to achieve or obtain with difficulty; to delete; to cross out
elect
scratch
veil
originate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What is "Light years away"?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Expression: "Condensation of one's exploits..." | What is a traditional pronoun?
listening exercisestell a friend
What is "Light years away"? #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:49 pm   What is "Light years away"?

Hi

Could you please tell me the meaning and use of:

"Light years away"?

Thanks in advance

Yours

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Light years #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:54 pm   Light years

Hi Tom,

I think you mean: Light years away. It means far, far into the future. It comes from the idea of the time it takes for the light of a star to reach planet earth. You could say; The time when man stops fighting man is sadly still light years away.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What is "Light years away"? #3 (permalink) Fri Jul 21, 2006 17:00 pm   What is "Light years away"?

Hi Tom

"Light years (away)" can also be used figuratively to talk about an extreme distance or difference between two things that have been compared.

Amy

What is "Light years away"? #4 (permalink) Fri Jul 21, 2006 23:29 pm   What is "Light years away"?

Dear Amy

Would you mind if I asked you to give one example each? :shock:

Many, many thanks in advance

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What is "Light years away"? #5 (permalink) Sat Jul 22, 2006 0:04 am   What is "Light years away"?

Hi Tom

Off the top of my head, some figurative examples:

"Many experts say that researchers are still light-years away from a cure for AIDS."

"Their opinions are light-years apart."

Amy

What is "Light years away"? #6 (permalink) Sat Jul 22, 2006 0:06 am   What is "Light years away"?

Can't thank you enough! :D

PS: still awake :!: :?: :shock:

Must be 1:0' clock?

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What is "Light years away"? #7 (permalink) Sat Jul 22, 2006 0:13 am   What is "Light years away"?

Yes, Tom, but I'll be hitting the hay shortly.
It must be much later where you are. :lol:

Amy

What is "Light years away"? #8 (permalink) Sat Jul 22, 2006 0:17 am   What is "Light years away"?

Amy wrote:
hitting the hay

You see! With this constant flow of learning who would wish to hit the hay? Well, this is a new expression for me to learn...and a beautiful one also.It is almost 5 in the morning here and I have to get up at 6:30 :D

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What is "Light years away"? #9 (permalink) Sat Jul 22, 2006 0:33 am   What is "Light years away"?

You have to get up at 6:30?! Get up from your chair is more like it, I guess. :lol:
Sounds like hitting the hay won't do you much good at this point. :shock:

Expression: "Condensation of one's exploits..." | What is a traditional pronoun?
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
"Sentence" vs "A sentence"Expression: "Easy come easy go"Sentence formationA thing apartSpeak, Talk, Say, TellExpression: "Woman with a cow's eyes..."Expression: "Shed one's weight"Expression: "One who really knows..."'protect your moonlighting identity'?use the abbreviation "The Hon."Expression: 'I'm Dumbledore's man, through and through'Wuthering Heights: "An oath, and a threat..."Punctuation: "M dash"