Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

something which has been bought; act of buying
taste
purchase
inhabitant
merchandise
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What's the difference between abbreviations Mr. / Miss / Ms. / Mrs?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
have + verb3 | tc
listening exercisestell a friend
What's the difference between abbreviations Mr. / Miss / Ms. / Mrs? #1 (permalink) Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:22 am   What's the difference between abbreviations Mr. / Miss / Ms. / Mrs?

Dear friends,

You know, in French, when there is a mister Roland, we write in abbreviation: M.Roland.
When there are more than one mister Roland, we write in abbreviation: MM.Rolands.
So, in English, how to write in abbreviation in plural these words:

Mr. Thomas.
Miss Murphy.
Ms. Murphy.
Mrs. Reley.

What I'd like to ask, that is how to write the 4 above terms (title+noun) in abbreviation in plural, that means how to change them in plural, including the change of the title and the change of the noun?

Many thanks.

Van Khanh
Van Khanh
I'm here quite often ;-)

Abbreviation: Mr./Miss/Ms./Mrs #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 25, 2006 18:29 pm   Abbreviation: Mr./Miss/Ms./Mrs

Hi

The plural forms are pretty rarely used, but if you happen to need one, here they are:

(Mr) Messrs Thomas
(Miss) Misses Murphy
(Ms) Mses/Mss Murphy
(Mrs) Mesdames Reley

Amy

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Abbreviation: Mr./Miss/Ms./Mrs #3 (permalink) Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:25 am   Abbreviation: Mr./Miss/Ms./Mrs

Hi Amy,

So, if I put a stop behind each title and I change all proper noun in plural, is that still correct?

Messrs. Thomases
Misses. Murphies
Mses./Mss. Murphies
Mesdames. Releys

Thanks
Khanh
Van Khanh
I'm here quite often ;-)

Abbreviation: Mr./Miss/Ms./Mrs #4 (permalink) Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:36 am   Abbreviation: Mr./Miss/Ms./Mrs

No stops after complete words, VK-- and I believe that BrE does away with stops everywhere.

Abbreviation: Mr./Miss/Ms./Mrs #5 (permalink) Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:54 am   Abbreviation: Mr./Miss/Ms./Mrs

Van Khanh wrote:
Hi Amy,

So, if I put a stop behind each title and I change all proper noun in plural, is that still correct?

Messrs. Thomases Thomas
Misses. Murphies Murphy
Mses./Mss. Murphies Murphy
Mesdames. Releys Reley

Hi Khanh

Messrs. Thomas = for example: Mr. John Thomas and Mr. Samuel Thomas
(Do not make the last name plural)

As MM noted, Misses and Mesdames are full words and would never need a period ("full stop"). I personally don't like using a period with "Ms" because "Ms" isn't really an abbreviation of anything (in the usual sense), but rather simply an invented form of address. :lol:

Amy

Abbreviation: Mr./Miss/Ms./Mrs #6 (permalink) Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:07 am   Abbreviation: Mr./Miss/Ms./Mrs

Many many thanks for both you, Mr Micawber and
Amy.

Van Khanh
Van Khanh
I'm here quite often ;-)

what's the difference between ( miss - ms - mr -mrs )? #7 (permalink) Tue Apr 14, 2009 21:50 pm   what's the difference between ( miss - ms - mr -mrs )?

hi :)

what's the difference between ( miss - ms - mr -mrs ) ????? :oops:
Hanan Q8
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

what's the difference between ( miss - ms - mr -mrs )? #8 (permalink) Tue Apr 14, 2009 22:09 pm   what's the difference between ( miss - ms - mr -mrs )?

Miss. = Young Unmarried Lady..

Ms. = Unmarried Lady..

Mr = Gentleman...

Mrs. = Married Lady..

Better tomorrow with better English
Sahid59
I'm here quite often ;-)

what's the difference between ( miss - ms - mr -mrs )? #9 (permalink) Tue Apr 14, 2009 22:26 pm   what's the difference between ( miss - ms - mr -mrs )?

thanks alot..

good luck.
Hanan Q8

what's the difference between ( miss - ms - mr -mrs )? #10 (permalink) Wed Apr 15, 2009 15:59 pm   what's the difference between ( miss - ms - mr -mrs )?

Sahid59 wrote:

Miss. = Young Unmarried Lady..

Ms. = Unmarried Lady..

Mr = Gentleman...

Mrs. = Married Lady..

That is not completely correct. The age of the woman isn't important.

Miss is for an unmarried woman, regardless of her age.

Ms. is for when you are uncertain of a woman's marital status, or do not wish to reference her marital status, regardless of her age.
Skrej
I'm here quite often ;-)

What's the difference between abbreviations Mr. / Miss / Ms. / Mrs? #11 (permalink) Fri Sep 18, 2009 14:47 pm   What's the difference between abbreviations Mr. / Miss / Ms. / Mrs?

Not quite appropriate for this forum, but can anyone tell me if there is a French equivalent for Ms? I believe there isn't, and tend to use Mme. But when I know it refers to a young girl, should I then write Mlle? Or is there a neuter-as-regards-marital-status appellation? I'd be very grateful if a native French speaker replied.
Kajuco

What's the difference between abbreviations Mr. / Miss / Ms. / Mrs? #12 (permalink) Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:39 am   What's the difference between abbreviations Mr. / Miss / Ms. / Mrs?

...I'm a native french speaker! And I'm able to write in english, and to be understandable by foreign people...yes it's possible!!!... :wink:
...so coming back to your question...it's a cruel question! why? Because in fact, there is only Miss (Mademoiselle) and Mrs (Madame) in french! And the worst is...compare to the person you send the email when you don't know the marital status, you have 2 choices: the first one is to write "Mademoiselle" thinking she's a young unmarried lady and if she's not, this could be understand as a flatery (hope this word exists in english) or versus as a critic (you're still not married!)...
...but in fact all of those existential questions are just a total male fantasm!!!
...women are more intelligent than men and really don't care about this!!!!
...so choose as you feel it... in the position of the writter..."Mademoiselle" or "Madame"...
...but honestly, don't you think that "Mademoiselle" is simply just the more beautiful word???
Djeyco

What's the difference between abbreviations Mr. / Miss / Ms. / Mrs? #13 (permalink) Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:57 pm   What's the difference between abbreviations Mr. / Miss / Ms. / Mrs?

Dear native French speaker

In short, there is no equivalent to the English Ms? Well, what DO French people do when they have no idea of the age or marital status of their addressee? Is there an agreed formula? I imagine that just as when you don't know someone you say VOUS, so perhaps you similarly say MADAME as being more respectful and distant?

Incidentally, there is a word, but it has two Fs - flattery. And fantasm -> fantasy.
Kajuco

What's the difference between abbreviations Mr. / Miss / Ms. / Mrs? #14 (permalink) Thu Oct 29, 2009 18:05 pm   What's the difference between abbreviations Mr. / Miss / Ms. / Mrs?

I agree with Skrej
Everafter

What's the difference between abbreviations Mr. / Miss / Ms. / Mrs? #15 (permalink) Sun Nov 21, 2010 18:43 pm   What's the difference between abbreviations Mr. / Miss / Ms. / Mrs?

Kajuco wrote:
Dear native French speaker

In short, there is no equivalent to the English Ms? Well, what DO French people do when they have no idea of the age or marital status of their addressee? Is there an agreed formula? I imagine that just as when you don't know someone you say VOUS, so perhaps you similarly say MADAME as being more respectful and distant?

Incidentally, there is a word, but it has two Fs - flattery. And fantasm -> fantasy.

It's been a year, but better late than never.

If you don't know who you're speaking to exactly, it's better to be a little too formal. So, you use "Madame". If they're not married, and wish to be less formal, they correct you. But it's always better to be a little too formal, than the opposite. Calling a married woman "Mademoiselle" (or an old unmarried woman) could be considered impolite.
Adea

have + verb3 | tc
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Latest topics on English Forums
Maserati revealed the first SUVIf anynew word "smurf"going back several generationsIs the sentence correct?present tense and adjectiveexpose/revealCould you be making more money?legalpretty/beautifultomorrow weekgarbageshy