Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

transmission; dispatch; radio program
consortium
broadcast
allowance
shipyard
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Limitation vs. restriction?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
'made a scene' = 'had a fight'? | Fantasize vs imagine
listening exercisestell a friend
Limitation vs. restriction? #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:00 am   Limitation vs. restriction?

Test No. incompl/advan-18 "Money Matters (1)", question 8

Under the rules laid down by the bank there is a ......... on the amount of money you can get out from a cash machine in any one day.

(a) limiting
(b) restriction
(c) restricting
(d) limitation

Test No. incompl/advan-18 "Money Matters (1)", answer 8

Under the rules laid down by the bank there is a restriction on the amount of money you can get out from a cash machine in any one day.

Correct answer: (b) restriction

Your answer was: incorrect
Under the rules laid down by the bank there is a limitation on the amount of money you can get out from a cash machine in any one day.

Please, why "restriction" and not "limitation"?
DINU Vasile

Limitation vs. restriction #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:09 am   Limitation vs. restriction

Limitation is used in connection with intangible factors such as process, time, size etc.

TOEIC listening, talks: Introducing a social networking system
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Limitation vs. restriction? #3 (permalink) Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:59 am   Limitation vs. restriction?

Hello,

I am afraid i am still not clear about the difference between Limitation and Restriction. Does that mean restriction is used for tangible things!
LimeLight

Limitation vs. restriction? #4 (permalink) Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:32 am   Limitation vs. restriction?

Hi

Tangible-intangible?
Hmm...

Which one would be 'more right' then:

restriction of (on?) rights
or
limitation of (on?) rights?

Limitation vs. restriction? #5 (permalink) Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:36 am   Limitation vs. restriction?

In my opinion, the word limit would be "the most correct" for the test sentence. :lol:
The word 'limitation' would most likely not be used in a sentence like this in American English. Instead the word 'limit' would be used. The word 'limit' would indicate a sort of figurative border beyond which you may not go.

Amy

Limitation vs. restriction? #6 (permalink) Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:48 am   Limitation vs. restriction?

I’m a client of Barclays bank.

Let's see how they use both words in the UK.

Quote:
Currency restrictions

These are imposed when a government has to curb the amount of real money either leaving or being brought into the country. Restrictions are sometimes imposed when inflation is running rampant.

But a bit below:
Quote:
Export limitations

Some countries may impose limitations on the amount of money you can take out of the country. These are called export limitations.

http://www.personal.barclays.co.uk/BRC1/jsp/brccontrol?task=articlegroup&site=pfs&value=6231&menu=3893

'made a scene' = 'had a fight'? | Fantasize vs imagine
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of 'non-refundable'Aren't the words 'early to bed, etc.' termed to be a phrase?Idiom: to live off one's payIdioms: sink one's teeth into VERSUS get one's teeth intoResource material for this battery of exercisesMeaning of "clammed up"'didn't have a bean' = 'had no money'?Expression: to wash the dishesWhat does tons mean?Idiom: hold your breathStrong collocation: 'to pose a thread'Idiom: 'saved by the bell'Idiom: ring off the hook