to have to; to be obligated; to be likely or probable
must
prepare
enthuse
clerk

The most popular English idioms

Do you know why he hasn't come back? | bundy black & coke
The most Popular Idioms #1 (permalink) Wed Jul 26, 2006 14:55 pm   The most Popular Idioms

.
Could you please post the details of your source, Bara?

It is plagiarism to copy lengthy text verbatim from another website or author without appropriate acknowledgement, and English-test.Net could be considered legally liable for any charges arising therefrom.
.
_________________

The most Popular Idioms #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 27, 2006 23:58 pm   The most Popular Idioms

Hi MM,
I've already read all these idioms and after that I just wanted to share them with this valuable forum. In which we all can discuss it more with you guys for the benefit that will come back to us. Upon my knowledge, it is legal to quote some of context of any book in the world without any acknowledgement from author or website which has this context. If you want the website I took these idioms from, you can go to goenglish.com.

Baraa
Bara

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
please just point people to the original page without copying #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:01 am   please just point people to the original page without copying

If you liked the materials that I created for GoEnglish.com, please just point people to the original page: http://www.goenglish.com/idioms.asp , without copying the material.

Thank you,

Adam Sullivan
GoEnglish.com
Goenglish

High as a Kite #4 (permalink) Wed Jul 04, 2012 21:53 pm   High as a Kite

I have NEVER heard "high as a kite" used in the context you put it here... I've only ever heard it used when someone is really high as in on drugs.
EmKM

The most popular English idioms #5 (permalink) Wed Jul 04, 2012 23:29 pm   The most popular English idioms

The usage in the first message on this page appears to be the original, traditional simile from a more innocent age.
_________________

The most popular English idioms #6 (permalink) Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:26 am   The most popular English idioms

To the moderator:

Five years ago I requested that this material be removed. I am the author and it is simply wholesale copy-paste from Goenglish.com. Honestly, I would have created a lot more free English lessons if they were not copied and reposted like this. I do hold this Forum responsible. You are using my materials to increase your traffic. If you want to discuss an idiom, discuss one. The more complete definitions are at goenglish.com. If you want to know why there are not more good materials available, this is why.

Please remove this page from your website.

Thank you
Goenglish

The most popular English idioms #7 (permalink) Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:11 am   The most popular English idioms

I have now removed the material. I don't quite follow this comment-

If you want to know why there are not more good materials available, this is why.

Incidentally I would have thought the reference to your site in your original response did more good than harm for you, to coin a phrase!
_________________

The most popular English idioms #8 (permalink) Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:48 am   The most popular English idioms

Alan, Thank you for taking down the copyright materials. I will remove the complaint I submitted with the DMCA. To your question: No, having 10 pages of content copied into a forum does not benefit a writer in anyway. Your logic suggests to me how this might be happening, if you are of the mind that it benefits another website to have their material copied onto your forum. But you have responded to my request and I am not holding a grudge. I hope you are happy and will be successful in helping folks to learn English well. Feel free to drop me a line anytime.

Adam
Goenglish.com
Goenglish

The most popular English idioms #9 (permalink) Sat Nov 15, 2014 13:28 pm   The most popular English idioms

'To do more good than harm' - is this the phrase you mean, Alan, though it is the other way round (I mean: to do more harm than good)?
_________________
Anglophile
I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
Anglophile

The most popular English idioms #10 (permalink) Sat Nov 15, 2014 13:42 pm   The most popular English idioms

Yes, I did that deliberately to make a point!
_________________

fell into bad habitslecture slides of...preference to / preference ofMy love for...explodedrequest to inform someone somethingAn article in...Which one is the right one?I'm going to have to retireIt can't be the present perfect just because the preceding verb is the infinitivegain eruditionThe call I made was not charged according to what was told me.circuits