to give; to contribute; to grant; to bestow
slump
point
switch
donate

Meaning of "cerebral"

Meaning of 'throw oneself on the mercy of the Church' | Using comma OR not
Meaning of "cerebral" #1 (permalink) Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:11 am   Meaning of "cerebral"

Dear Teachers,

My dictionary says "cerebral" means "Of or relating to the brain or cerebrum". But this definition doesn't seem to fit in the contexts I read or found in the internet, such as:

"Mirror, mirror on the wall, who among us is fairest of all?" she said.
Bianca straightened up and listened, as if the mirror might answer. If it did, it was in a pitch too cerebral or too hushed for Bianca to hear.

Or:

He currently does most of his concert appearances in shopping malls, so the music is definitely not intended to startle or to be too cerebral.

It sounds to me that "too cerebral" means "too difficult". :?
All Potted Out

Meaning of "cerebral" #2 (permalink) Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:38 am   Meaning of "cerebral"

Hi All Potted Out

Cerebral can refer to something that requires the use of intellect rather than emotion.

These links should help: :D
http://www.english-test.net/gre/vocabulary/words/318/gre-definitions.php#cerebral
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=12260&dict=CALD

_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "cerebral" #3 (permalink) Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:47 am   Meaning of "cerebral"

all potted out wrote:
Dear Teachers,

In this context, I think the author referred to the possibility of the mirror answering in a too high-pitched (head) voice or register for Bianca to hear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_voice

Here's an interesting quote about the ability to hear ultrasound:

Some animals, such as dogs, dolphins, bats, and mice have an upper limit that is greater than that of the human ear and thus can hear ultrasound. Children can hear some high-pitched sounds that older adults cannot hear, as in humans the upper limit pitch of hearing gets lower with age.

Meaning of "cerebral" #4 (permalink) Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:27 am   Meaning of "cerebral"

Conchita wrote:

A don't agree. The noun "pitch" has at least eight different meanings.

The author meant that the answer came back at a level too intellectual for Bianca to understand, or two quiet for her to hear.

On occasion we use the word "hear" to mean understand or comprehend. You can witness this when someone is complaining about something, and the person listening says, "I hear ya, man!"

A denunciation of bygone days?"it's time we go" vs. it's time we wentPhrase: working in (a/the) construction"later" or "latter""I" or "not I"Is or are? (The rich and the poor is/are...)IN or AT: in/at several languages"Rent-a-Wreck" is countable or uncountable?"all" or "the whole"Susan vs. SuzanneDifference between crash and crushUse of comparativesHow can I help you? vs. What can I do for you?