to grind the teeth together; to abrade; to grind; to make a harsh grinding noise
feed
share
grit
might

When do we use "yet" and when "now"?

Is this correct? Does it sound good? | Which vs Which one
When do we use "yet" and when "now"? #1 (permalink) Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:14 am   When do we use "yet" and when "now"?

Can you tell me the difference in meaning betwwen "yet" and "now" in:

a/ Can you tell me yet?
Can you tell me now?
b/ We need'nt do it just yet.
We need'nt do it just now.

K
Van Khanh

Location: Ho Chi Minh-City, Viet Nam

Yet vs Now #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:03 am   Yet vs Now

Hi Khahn

a/ Can you tell me yet?
Can you tell me now?

These sentences are similar, but using yet indicates that the person has been waiting to be told.
In the second sentence, the use of the word now means the person wants to know whether he can be told immediately. It's quite possible that he hasn't been waiting at all.

The word yet is typically used in negative sentences and questions and refers to a whole period of time up until now.

The word now refers only to the current time.

b/ We needn't do it just yet.
We needn't do it just now.

In my opinion the word just simply stresses yet and now in your sentences.

Note: The words "just now" also have the meaning of "a moment ago":
"Who were you talking to just now?"

_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Yet vs Now #3 (permalink) Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:02 am   Yet vs Now

Please read:

What is the difference btw up to now and up until now? Are they the same meaning in this case?
Can the word yet be used in the affirmative sentence? (With the mentioned meaning).

Van Khanh

Location: Ho Chi Minh-City, Viet Nam

Yet #4 (permalink) Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:24 am   Yet

You asked:

There is only a slight difference between up to now and up until now. Up until now adds emphasis with the idea of up to this very moment

The use of yet to convey the same meaning would be in a special case. Imagine that there are only 3 paintings in the world by a particular artist. You could say: We have only found two paintings by the artist up until now/up to now. We have yet (up until now) to find the third painting.

_________________

Henry V - Henry the Fifth?Meaning of the word "Buiding"What is the difference between "so" and "thus"?The time - What's the time?S1 + or + S2 + VerbDifference between capricious and versatileLuck vs FortuneA person that lives in a particular placeMeaning of nil"water logged" versus "water soaked"Adaptive radiation's resultsResident vs InhabitantLiaison: Whichever, whatever, whenever, whereas, morever...