Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to grind the teeth together; to abrade; to grind; to make a harsh grinding noise
feed
grit
might
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

When do we use "yet" and when "now"?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Is this correct? Does it sound good? | Which vs Which one
listening exercisestell a friend
When do we use "yet" and when "now"? #1 (permalink) Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:14 am   When do we use "yet" and when "now"?

Can you tell me the difference in meaning betwwen "yet" and "now" in:

a/ Can you tell me yet?
Can you tell me now?
b/ We need'nt do it just yet.
We need'nt do it just now.

Thanks
K
Van Khanh
I'm here quite often ;-)

Yet vs Now #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:03 am   Yet vs Now

Hi Khahn

Quote:
a/ Can you tell me yet?
Can you tell me now?

These sentences are similar, but using yet indicates that the person has been waiting to be told.
In the second sentence, the use of the word now means the person wants to know whether he can be told immediately. It's quite possible that he hasn't been waiting at all.

The word yet is typically used in negative sentences and questions and refers to a whole period of time up until now.

The word now refers only to the current time.

Quote:
b/ We needn't do it just yet.
We needn't do it just now.

In my opinion the word just simply stresses yet and now in your sentences.

Note: The words "just now" also have the meaning of "a moment ago":
"Who were you talking to just now?"

Amy

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Yet vs Now #3 (permalink) Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:02 am   Yet vs Now

Please read:

The word yet is typically used in negative sentences and questions and refers to a whole period of time up until now.

What is the difference btw up to now and up until now? Are they the same meaning in this case?
Can the word yet be used in the affirmative sentence? (With the mentioned meaning).

Thanks
Van Khanh
I'm here quite often ;-)

Yet #4 (permalink) Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:24 am   Yet

Hi,

You asked:

Quote:
What is the difference btw up to now and up until now? Are they the same meaning in this case?
Can the word yet be used in the affirmative sentence? (With the mentioned meaning).

There is only a slight difference between up to now and up until now. Up until now adds emphasis with the idea of up to this very moment

The use of yet to convey the same meaning would be in a special case. Imagine that there are only 3 paintings in the world by a particular artist. You could say: We have only found two paintings by the artist up until now/up to now. We have yet (up until now) to find the third painting.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Is this correct? Does it sound good? | Which vs Which one
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Henry V - Henry the Fifth?Meaning of the word "Buiding"What is the difference between "so" and "thus"?The time - What's the time?S1 + or + S2 + VerbDifference between capricious and versatileLuck vs FortuneA person that lives in a particular placeMeaning of nil"water logged" versus "water soaked"Adaptive radiation's resultsResident vs InhabitantLiaison: Whichever, whatever, whenever, whereas, morever...