tasty; having a pleasant taste or smell
unconventional
delicious
advance
legal

Pronounce /d/ or /dz/

Meaning of nil | Liaison: Whichever, whatever, whenever, whereas, morever...
Pronounce /d/ or /dz/ #1 (permalink) Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:36 am   Pronounce /d/ or /dz/

Dear Sirs,

When /d/ and /dz/ are together, you pronounce /d/ or /dz/?Is that right in all cases?

EX: If you see the phonetics transcription in any dictionaries, the word "adjectif" has the phonetics transcription as follows:

/ a:dziktiv /

So, you will pronounce:

a. /a:d/ /ziktiv/

or:

b. /a:/ /dziktiv/

If you don't have time, please only answer a or b.
Khanh

PS:The exact transcription of /dz/ is as in dictionaries.
Van Khanh

Location: Ho Chi Minh-City, Viet Nam

Pronounce /d/ or /dz/ #2 (permalink) Fri Aug 04, 2006 14:58 pm   Pronounce /d/ or /dz/

.
/'aedzektiv/
.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Pronounce /d/ or /dz/ #3 (permalink) Fri Aug 04, 2006 15:13 pm   Pronounce /d/ or /dz/

Dear Sir,

In phonetics, there are 2 sounds: /z/ and /dz/
(/z/ in this case is not /z/ in "zoo")

So , please see the transcription of the word "adjective" in the dictionary.What I'd like to ask, is:

with : /'aedzektiv/

You pronounce only one sound /dz/ together or you pronounce separately 2 sounds /d/ (quickly) and /z/.

K
Van Khanh

Location: Ho Chi Minh-City, Viet Nam

Pronounce /d/ or /dz/ #4 (permalink) Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:06 am   Pronounce /d/ or /dz/

.
In the IPA, /dz/ is a two-character representation of a single sound.
.
_________________

Pronounce /d/ or /dz/ #5 (permalink) Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:51 am   Pronounce /d/ or /dz/

Dear Sir,

So,in the IPA, in "adjective" only one sound /dz/ is pronounced. We can't separate /dz/ into /d/ and /z/ and pronounce them.

K
Van Khanh

Location: Ho Chi Minh-City, Viet Nam

Pronounce /d/ or /dz/ #6 (permalink) Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:18 am   Pronounce /d/ or /dz/

.
That is the idea, yes.
.
_________________

Pronounce /d/ or /dz/ #7 (permalink) Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:36 am   Pronounce /d/ or /dz/

Thanks Sir,

If you have free time, please read my phonetics questions in "Liaison" (with whenever, whatever...) and share with me your opinions.

K
Van Khanh

Location: Ho Chi Minh-City, Viet Nam

Pronounce /d/ or /dz/ #8 (permalink) Sat Aug 05, 2006 15:13 pm   Pronounce /d/ or /dz/

Van Khanh wrote:

Van Khanh, the international IPA transcription is confusing, because with some affricate consonants it uses two characters to represent one sound, as Mister Micawber mentioned. It does that with [tS] (the "ch" sound in English) and with [dZ] (the "j" sound in English).

These affricates consist of two sounds: a stop followed by a fricative. However, in English they function together as one unit. For this reason, when we teach phonetic transcription to teachers in America we often don't use the international version of IPA, but the American variant instead. In the American version the [tS] consonant is written as a C with a hacek over it, and the [dZ] consonant is written as a J with a hacek over it. This eliminates the confusion that arises when two letters are used to transcribe one consonant.

A hacek is a circumflex (^) written upside down. I tried to write the actual phonetic characters, but this site is not Unicode compliant, so it wouldn't show them after I put them in.

Years versus AgeHenry V - Henry the Fifth?Meaning of the word "Buiding"What is the difference between "so" and "thus"?The time - What's the time?S1 + or + S2 + VerbWord vs WordsDifference between capricious and versatileNote vs NoticeLuck vs FortuneA person that lives in a particular place"water logged" versus "water soaked"Resident vs Inhabitant