to remove; to get rid of
advertise
queues
fail
eliminate

Meaning of "In a way it's probably just as well the...

Meaning of haste | Meaning of "When your parents find out what you've done
Meaning of "In a way it's probably just as well the... #1 (permalink) Fri Aug 04, 2006 18:24 pm   Meaning of "In a way it's probably just as well the...

ESL/EFL Test #70 "What the Devil", question 2

In a way it's probably just as well the deputy has become the new chief. It's a case of ......... the devil you know.

(a) easier
(b) rather
(c) harder
(d) better

ESL/EFL Test #70 "What the Devil", answer 2

In a way it's probably just as well the deputy has become the new chief. It's a case of better the devil you know.

Correct answer: (d) better
_________________________

What does the whole sentence mean?

Jonas Ferreira
Jonas Ferreira

Meaning of "In a way it's probably just as well the... #2 (permalink) Fri Aug 04, 2006 20:01 pm   Meaning of "In a way it's probably just as well the...

The sentence:

means: It's probably good that the new boss is the previous deputy. Everyone knows what the deputy was like and so it is probably better to choose that person because you will know the worst there is to know (the devil you know) about personality/behaviour/treatment of colleagues.

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Are always doing somethingWords leaving and livingWhen and how you can used the word carry out?Security cameras deters or deter?Meaning of the word clapExchange dollars VERSUS switch dollarsMeaning of "to change one's"'to alter' versus 'to change'Meaning of 'turn up the sitting room clock'Difference between modify and alterMeaning of "talking through her hat"Meaning of 'nail technician'Meaning of 'career associate scanning professionals'