head; chief; director; carrier; main article
collaboration
minute
leader
threat

Meaning of 'turn up the sitting room clock'

Meaning of "When your parents find out what you've done | 'to alter' versus 'to change'
Meaning of 'turn up the sitting room clock' #1 (permalink) Fri Aug 04, 2006 20:14 pm   Meaning of 'turn up the sitting room clock'

ESL/EFL Test #74 "At the End of the Day (3)", question 7

you could be subtle and ......... up the sitting room clock

(a) wind
(b) stir
(c) turn
(d) take

ESL/EFL Test #74 "At the End of the Day (3)", answer 7

you could be subtle and wind up the sitting room clock

Correct answer: (a) wind

you could be subtle and turn up the sitting room clock
_________________________

What does the whole sentence mean?

Jonas Ferreira
Jonas Ferreira

Meaning of 'turn up the sitting room clock' #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:50 am   Meaning of 'turn up the sitting room clock'

.
By overtly winding up the clock, you can draw your visitors' attention to the lateness of the hour, and subtly encourage them to leave.

Often also, a clock is wound at the end of a person's day, so the visitors may realize that it is the end of the host's day, and they should go home.
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Talking about somehing that will happen in the future+since"you'r" instead of "your"Are always doing somethingWords leaving and livingWhen and how you can used the word carry out?Security cameras deters or deter?Meaning of the word clapExchange dollars VERSUS switch dollarsMeaning of "to change one's"Meaning of "In a way it's probably just as well the...Meaning of hasteDifference between modify and alterMeaning of "talking through her hat"