ready; attentive; quick; agile
incumbent
diligent
alert
absent

What is the difference between the future real conditional and conditional III?

What is important when it comes to auditing? | blue-blues
What is the difference between the future real conditional and conditional III? #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:43 am   What is the difference between the future real conditional and conditional III?

I?d like some help in this exercise, please..

Test No. errors/inter-9 "Conditionals", question 10

If I try very hard, I would have been able to stop smoking.

(a) If
(b) try
(c) to stop

Test No. errors/inter-9 "Conditionals", answer 10

If I had tried very hard, I would have been able to stop smoking.

Correct entry: had tried
The error was: (b) try

You have not found the error.
If I try very hard, I will be able to stop smoking.

I understand that the correct answer of the test is ok - 2nd cond struc
But my answer couldn?t be considered right too, 1st cond struc?
Thank you again....
Learner

Location: Brazil

If I had tried vs. If I try... #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 19, 2003 14:09 pm   If I had tried vs. If I try...

Dear Learner,

You are right - you could say 'If I try very hard I'll be able to stop smoking'. This would be called 'Future Real Conditional' because it describes a real situation in the future.

As for the sentence in question (If I had tried very hard, I would have been able to stop smoking.) This could be called 'Past Unreal Conditional' as it describes a situation in the past which you can't change anymore, so it's something 'unreal'.

Now, the test you are referring to is an 'Error in Sentences' test and the second part in that particular sentence is given as correct so you can change 'try' into 'had tried' and the sentence is correct.
Please, let us know if you have any further questions. Thanks.

TOEIC listening, photographs: In the classroom

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
If I had tried vs. If I try... #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:02 am   If I had tried vs. If I try...

Hello Learner and Torsten,
I haven't noticed it until Learner pointed it out. Yes, I agree with Learner. The answer (c) shoul be correct answer too. Although Torsten said that the second part in that paticular sentence is given as correct, I couldn't see it. What am I missing?
Bob

Location: Japan

Errors in Sentences #4 (permalink) Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:27 am   Errors in Sentences

Hey Bob, the test in question here is not an 'Incomplete Sentence' test, so those three given parts are not answer options but underlined parts in the sentence and you have to pick the one which is incorrect whereas in the multiple choice (Incomplete Sentences) tests you have to pick the correct part.
The task with the Error in Sentences tests is to find the INCORRECT part and amend it. With the Incomplete Sentences and Expressions tests you have to find the CORRECT answer.

Please, take a look here:
http://www.english-test.net/faq/3/

TOEIC listening, photographs: A view of an audience

Conditionals #5 (permalink) Thu Nov 20, 2003 13:32 pm   Conditionals

Hi Torsten,

I think Learner said that he thought that (c) would have been was the incorrect part of the sentence. And he amended it to will be. Is it right, Learner? What am I missing? Is his answer wrong, Torsten?
Bob

Location: Japan

If I try very hard, I will be able to stop smoking #6 (permalink) Thu Nov 20, 2003 13:49 pm   If I try very hard, I will be able to stop smoking

Ah, now I see what you mean. Yes, of course you are right - you can leave the first part 'If I try very hard' and add 'I'll be able to stop smoking.' That's an interesting point. We have now underlined different parts in the sentence to avoid this ambiguity. Please let me know what you think now.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Three skyscrapers

Conditionals #7 (permalink) Thu Nov 20, 2003 21:10 pm   Conditionals

WOW!!! I?ve missed a good conversation here!!

Bob, you could understand my point! That was exactly what I?ve done, this is why I didn?t understand my answer was "wrong"...

Thank you very much Bob and Torsten..
Learner

Location: Brazil

Conditionals #8 (permalink) Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:03 am   Conditionals

Great! This is the moment when I feel happy because I was able to communicate with others. Without using English, I could not have done it.
Bob

Location: Japan

What is the difference between the future real conditional and conditional III? #9 (permalink) Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:22 pm   What is the difference between the future real conditional and conditional III?

thanx
Abu_Wada

What is the difference between the future real conditional and conditional III? #10 (permalink) Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:26 pm   What is the difference between the future real conditional and conditional III?

what is the answer
Abu_Wada

What is the difference between the future real conditional and conditional III? #11 (permalink) Sat Jul 25, 2009 21:08 pm   What is the difference between the future real conditional and conditional III?

I think there is a mistake
_________________
live quite life
Honey2

Location: Kingdom of saudi arabia

What does embellish mean?What what is the difference between enunciate and articulate?What does 'tied up' mean?What is coordinating conjunction?What does two of a kind mean?English testBorn to animals?What does idioms 'a land of honey and milk, having a whale of time' mean?'a long row of houses' vs 'a long row of cows'An idiom 'Keep body and soul together'Different laws? Isn't it illegal to phone while driving?The sentence provides you with the slang idiom used in context...agree with or agree to