Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

careful observation of a person or group
spot
greenhouse
attendant
surveillance
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Day, month, year in English

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Meaning of 'Go out' (He selsom goes out) | As well: He speaks English as well; Hot and cold as well
listening exercisestell a friend
Day, month, year in English #1 (permalink) Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:30 am   Day, month, year in English

Is this correct that the English write the date in the following way?

day, month, year

and the American write:

month, day, year

I get mails from both countries and sometimes I don't know how to handle it.

e.g.
08/07/06
Attila
I'm here quite often ;-)

Day, month, year in English #2 (permalink) Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:59 pm   Day, month, year in English

Hi Attila

American date format:
When Americans write the date, the format is month / day / year. For example, today is August 10, 2006. Written as only numbers it would be: 8/10/06

If there is a deviation from the standard American format, an American will usually mention the deviation specifically.

Maybe Alan will give you information about the British format.

I usually advise people to always write the month as a word (Aug. or August, for example) in order to avoid possible confusion.

Amy

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of 'Go out' (He selsom goes out) | As well: He speaks English as well; Hot and cold as well
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Meaning of "The better part of the day"Meaning of "on the grounds"Meaning of "nobody's victim"Trivialize the nature of intimate life?By versus InWhat do you think of these exercises?Meaning of 'twisted aside' and 'gentle swags'"Will" vs "Would"Meaning of "otherwise"Too (Roland likes milk and Davis does too)Correct pronunciation of the word "MENTORING"Lately vs Recently (I saw her as recently as last Sunday)Think about versus Think of