Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

boundary; edge; limit
border
possibility
driver
gift
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Two modal verbs in one sentence?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Logic of question tags? | Beginning of the end?
listening exercisestell a friend
Two modal verbs in one sentence? #1 (permalink) Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:14 pm   Two modal verbs in one sentence?

Test No. incompl/elem-7 "Modals", question 10

I may ......... go to Paris next week because there is a very big exhibition there.

(a) have
(b) have to
(c) had

Test No. incompl/elem-7 "Modals", answer 10

I may have to go to Paris next week because there is a very big exhibition there.

Correct answer: (b) have to

Your answer was: incorrect
I may have go to Paris next week because there is a very big exhibition there.

i can use 2 modals in the same sentence?

senem
senem

Modals #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:41 pm   Modals

Technically 'have to' is only a substitute modal but the construction may have to is fine. Note also: I ought to be able to where able to is doing the same job as have to.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
modal verbs #3 (permalink) Mon Aug 18, 2008 14:10 pm   modal verbs

Hello Torsten,

I am happy to inform you that I scored 10 on 10 in modal verbs test.

Anandhi
Anandhi

Two modal verbs in one sentence? #4 (permalink) Mon Aug 18, 2008 14:18 pm   Two modal verbs in one sentence?

Hello Anandhi,

That's great to hear. Keep up the great work! I'm very glad you have joined our forum and I look forward to your next forum messages.
Best regards,
Torsten

TOEIC listening, talks: A newspaper journalist is leaving a voice message for a city developer
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Two modal verbs in one sentence? #5 (permalink) Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:16 am   Two modal verbs in one sentence?

>>I may ...have to...... go to Paris next week because there is a very big exhibition there.

Two things I did not understand here.

1. why "have to" is the correct answer. I think it is not compulsion that I have to go to exhibition.

2. I confused in usage of "there" two times. Is this a correct usage in "...because there is a very big exhibition there"

BTW, I scored 9 because of this que. :-(

Thanks,
Paresh
Masaniparesh
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Two modal verbs in one sentence? #6 (permalink) Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:43 am   Two modal verbs in one sentence?

Hi,

'May' qualifies 'have to' suggesting it may be necessary with the idea that it's not definite. 'There' is used in two capacities. In 'there is' we are talking about something exists as in' there is a big exhibition'. In the final 'there' we are using it as an adverb of place = in that place.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Two modal verbs in one sentence? #7 (permalink) Fri Sep 26, 2008 16:26 pm   Two modal verbs in one sentence?

Hi,
Can you explain me the exact meaning of the expression "may have to do something"? In our context, is something like it is possible to have to go to Paris?
Thank you,
mely
Melyeu

Two modal verbs in one sentence? #8 (permalink) Mon Nov 17, 2008 0:52 am   Two modal verbs in one sentence?

Hi
I made one mistake - question No 10, the rest was correct.
thank you for the test:)
Regards, Piotrek
Piotrekabk

Two modal verbs in one sentence? #9 (permalink) Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:07 pm   Two modal verbs in one sentence?

Hello torsten, i get 10/10 in this question too, but please i want you to explain to words that i don't understand for me

What is the meaning of ought to?
and what is the meaning of exhibition?
Wale22

Two modal verbs in one sentence? #10 (permalink) Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:13 pm   Two modal verbs in one sentence?

Hi Wale, Please read Alan's explanation of the modal verb 'ought to': Ought to

An exhibition is a show, a display or an event similar to a trade fair. You can easily find this out yourself by simply looking up the meaning of the word in a dictionary. Do you know how to use a dictionary?

TOEIC listening, photographs: A firemen
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Two modal verbs in one sentence? #11 (permalink) Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:20 pm   Two modal verbs in one sentence?

Yes, thank you very much for you explanation
Wale22

Two modal verbs in one sentence? #12 (permalink) Mon Jun 08, 2009 21:41 pm   Two modal verbs in one sentence?

Hi Torsten,
I have one mistake-question 10(the first time that I made the test, I forgot to answer 2 question:()
I don't know why, but for me the "May have to" is very heavy construction, I'm not sure that I will use it sometime.
Regards
SilviaL

Two modal verbs in one sentence? #13 (permalink) Mon Apr 19, 2010 19:08 pm   Two modal verbs in one sentence?

Hi Torsten, I scored 70% correctly. I hope to improve my knowledge about modal verbs. I did confusion between must and have to.
Cristovam
I'm here quite often ;-)

Two modal verbs in one sentence? #14 (permalink) Tue Jun 08, 2010 23:36 pm   Two modal verbs in one sentence?

Dear teacher I have answered 9 out of 10 correctly Thanks for number 10 .It is a bit of a challenge.Then test Model Medley -the same result.Best regards.
Maliavkina
You can meet me at english-test.net

Modals #15 (permalink) Mon Jun 28, 2010 15:02 pm   Modals

Alan wrote:
Technically 'have to' is only a substitute modal but the construction may have to is fine. Note also: I ought to be able to where able to is doing the same job as have to.
Rissa

Logic of question tags? | Beginning of the end?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of 'most out of'?The meaning of 'roll class'?Why use "all of the flowers" instead of "all the flowers"?testing times vs. testable timesWord order in indirect questionsExpression: Would you mind ifGet used to vs. get held toMeaning of grantingMeaning of "I'm doing fine"What does blow mean?Want to find out who drove the red carMeaning of "You never did"Difference between turn and turning