to inflate; to play an important role
mend
honor
suggest
bulk

Lines from a school magazine: A short while ago...

did or made a painting | to answer a question or to answer to a question, etc.
Lines from a school magazine: A short while ago... #1 (permalink) Sun Aug 13, 2006 13:13 pm   Lines from a school magazine: A short while ago...

Could you please simplify the following lines to me? They were written as a message (to students) by the editor of a school megazine.

A short while ago, the written material for this publication was submitted to my desk for proof reading. Now, some very defining moments later, I am slave to a current of thought which fiercely seeks emancipation to memory, I am oblivious of ever having had a moment where my intense pride in the potential and promise of my students appeared to me as a case of somewhat slight overestimation or subtle bias. But in case, just in case I was ever guilty of one such moment, the dimension of here and now would retrieve from me an instance of sincerest apology.

PS: The editor was the school's headmistress.

Lines from a school magazine: "A short while ago... #2 (permalink) Sun Aug 13, 2006 14:44 pm   Lines from a school magazine: "A short while ago...

Hi Tom

I assume that all the material in the magazine was written by the school's students.

The headmistress seems to be saying that she has always been very proud of her students and their ability. She thinks the material submitted for this issue of the magazine is outstanding. The students have lived up to and possibly exceeded her high expectations and have proven that her pride in them was not the least bit misplaced.

In other words, she is praising the material the students wrote.

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Lines from a school magazine: A short while ago... #3 (permalink) Wed Jan 09, 2008 16:49 pm   Lines from a school magazine: A short while ago...

Thanks Amy.

Aren't the lines too difficult and flowery? Would you say that native speakers (O- level students) can easily understand these lines?

what does 'I got life' mean?I wonder something about "would" (again)would hypothetical futureThe use of "Indulge" without "with"How to use "many" , "some" and "a few"Usage of the word settle (settling vs settled)what is the different between 'convince' and 'persuade'?How to use earn?meet v.s. be met"regardless of" vs "in spite of"is it correct: how long has it been on?Meaning of "ain't no" in the sentense "This ain't no disco"going to a restaurant, or going to the restaurant, etc.