prejudice; tendency; leaning
common
composition
bias
triangle

Customers vs. patrons?

Meaning of the idiom "lion's share of the food" | ID photocopy vs ID photocopies
Customers vs. patrons? #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:34 am   Customers vs. patrons?

Test No. incompl/inter-12 "At the Restaurant", question 7

As they're special ......... of the restaurant, they always get a good table.

(a) partners
(b) customers
(c) patrons
(d) visitors

Test No. incompl/inter-12 "At the Restaurant", answer 7

As they're special patrons of the restaurant, they always get a good table.

Correct answer: (c) patrons

As they're special customers of the restaurant, they always get a good table.
_________________________

Dear
why the answer not customer
dina

Customers/patrons #2 (permalink) Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:23 am   Customers/patrons

Customers would refer to people in a shop but in a restaurant where the service is more personal, patrons is the best word.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Customers/patrons #3 (permalink) Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:28 am   Customers/patrons

"Patrons" is used in restaurants services only? or any other personal attention?
topo

Patrons #4 (permalink) Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:15 am   Patrons

Hi Topo,

Patrons would not only be used in the case of restaurants. It is someone who regularly uses the service offered and could be used for people who always go to a particular shop or use a particular business or firm. Incidentally a patron is also someone who gives financial support to an insitution.

_________________

Customers vs. patrons? #5 (permalink) Tue Oct 21, 2008 15:34 pm   Customers vs. patrons?

It is not perfectly clear to me why "patrons" and not "customers"? Is it always the same? If someone usually goes only to a particular place every time, he/she is called a "patron" or if he/she often goes there? And then, a customer is someone who goes to a lot of places?
Oleda

Customers vs. patrons? #6 (permalink) Tue Oct 21, 2008 18:04 pm   Customers vs. patrons?

.
As I see it, the word "customer" is also perfectly acceptable in this test sentence. Thus, I would suggest replacing the word "customer" with a different distractor -- one that is actually incorrect. Or, alternatively, both options could be reprogrammed as "correct" choices.

Definitions of "patron"
(from Cambridge):
"a person who uses a particular shop, restaurant, hotel, etc., especially regularly; a customer"
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=58103&dict=CALD
(from Webster's):
"a regular customer, as of a store"
http://www.yourdictionary.com/patron

Definitions of "customer"
(from Cambridge):
"a person who buys goods or a service"
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=19144&dict=CALD
(from Webster's):
"a person who buys, esp. one who buys from, or patronizes, an establishment regularly"
(from the Random House Dictionary):
a person who purchases goods or services from another; buyer; patron.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=customer&r=66

.
I am not attempting to be patronizing here. ;)
I am simply stating what I see as factual information, as well as a clear need for some test repair here.
.
_________________

Customers vs. patrons? #7 (permalink) Tue Oct 21, 2008 21:14 pm   Customers vs. patrons?

hi yankee
i think you are right at this situation. i made that mistake when i first took this test. they should change the "customer" distractor
Kepilik

Customers vs. patrons? #8 (permalink) Mon May 04, 2009 21:54 pm   Customers vs. patrons?

This question is a bit more confusing and as Yankee suggests one of the choices should be removed otherwise there would be some doubts.
Emir

Customers vs. patrons? #9 (permalink) Thu Jul 09, 2009 16:56 pm   Customers vs. patrons?

Sorry, but I want to ask the mean of 'distractor'.
Orchid1205

Customers vs. patrons? #10 (permalink) Sun Jul 19, 2009 21:41 pm   Customers vs. patrons?

dear orchid1205
you can easily find the meaning of distractor in dictionaries.distractor means one of the wrong answers in a multiple-choice test which might takes your attention from what is true as in this test according to our friends' words, customers is distractor because it takes your attention from the correct choice which is patrons :)
Goodmahsa

Location: Iran

Customers vs. patrons? #11 (permalink) Sun Jul 19, 2009 22:18 pm   Customers vs. patrons?

oh just in order to prevent misunderstanding,I should add that all the other choices except the correct one are called distractor for example in this test a,b and d are distractors
Goodmahsa

Location: Iran

Customers vs. patrons? #12 (permalink) Mon Jul 20, 2009 17:41 pm   Customers vs. patrons?

dear Goodmahsa

Thanks for your explanation. I found the meaning of distractor at www.longman.com but I couldn't find it. I only see the meaning of distract, so I didn't understand Yankee's explanation.
Orchid1205

Customers vs. patrons? #13 (permalink) Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:51 am   Customers vs. patrons?

Thank you, Yankee, for your reply!
Oleda

Customers vs. patrons? #14 (permalink) Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:39 am   Customers vs. patrons?

dis·tract·er also dis·trac·tor (d-strktr)
n.
One of the incorrect answers presented as a choice in a multiple-choice test.

It may not be found as 'distractor.' You may have to look it up as 'distracter.' Go here: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/distracter Only the main webster dictionary has this and not the online one. Online Oxford and Cmabridge dictionaries do not have both. You have this entry ('Distractor'), in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. best of luck, nanucbe.
Nanucbe

'a long row of houses' vs 'a long row of cows'The sentence provides you with the slang idiom used in context...Meaning of 'make an offer for it'Does elegant means the way of serving the food?Please explain why out of instead top? is the out of same as top?why is the verb dance in Past Indefinite?Usage of "razzle dazzle"I want learn the slang languageMeaning of palWhat does "kind of interest" mean?How can I see my progress in English tests that I finished it?Is "hits" a gay term for men?The reason for usage 'too'?