person who ask questions (i.e. reporter or employer)
shipyard
empathy
interviewer
passage

Meaning of "by profession"

-Ing: The subject of 'losing' is 'people'? | Meaning of 'she is the farther off'
Meaning of "by profession" #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:05 am   Meaning of "by profession"

Dear teachers,

Please read:

They're both doctors by profession.

Coul you explain me the meaning of "by profession"? what "by" here mean?Why there isn't an article in front of "profession"?"by profession" is an expression?

Tung Quoc
Tung Quoc

Meaning of "by profession" #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:31 am   Meaning of "by profession"

By profession is commonly used and means

What are you by profession?(What's your profession?)
I'm an engineer

The same:

What are you?
I'm an engineer
Pamela

Location: RF

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "by profession" #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:18 am   Meaning of "by profession"

Hi Quoc

Yes, "by profession" is a fixed expression but it is usually not necessary to use it.

A: What does he do for a living?
B: He's a doctor by profession.

A: What does he do?
B: He's a doctor.

_________________

Quote: Zeal and sincerity can carry a new religion furtherProblem versus MatterBeing or Was (It being/was very dark)'s :: Two 9's or Two 9sCan I say: That Bob is kind?Go to bed versus Go to sleepSome or One (Let's buy some/ones with flowers on)Phrase: Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyedQuote: He that hath wife and children...Quote: Hope is a good breakfast, but it is a bad supperFashion countable: my fashion or my fashions?Travel versus TravellingMeaning of "but I've tasted better"