Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

person who ask questions (i.e. reporter or employer)
shipyard
empathy
interviewer
passage
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of "by profession"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
-Ing: The subject of 'losing' is 'people'? | Meaning of 'she is the farther off'
listening exercisestell a friend
Meaning of "by profession" #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:05 am   Meaning of "by profession"

Dear teachers,

Please read:

They're both doctors by profession.

Coul you explain me the meaning of "by profession"? what "by" here mean?Why there isn't an article in front of "profession"?"by profession" is an expression?

Tung Quoc
Tung Quoc
I'm here quite often ;-)

Meaning of "by profession" #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:31 am   Meaning of "by profession"

By profession is commonly used and means

What are you by profession?(What's your profession?)
I'm an engineer

The same:

What are you?
I'm an engineer
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "by profession" #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:18 am   Meaning of "by profession"

Hi Quoc

Yes, "by profession" is a fixed expression but it is usually not necessary to use it.

A: What does he do for a living?
B: He's a doctor by profession.

A: What does he do?
B: He's a doctor.

Amy

-Ing: The subject of 'losing' is 'people'? | Meaning of 'she is the farther off'
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Quote: Zeal and sincerity can carry a new religion furtherProblem versus MatterBeing or Was (It being/was very dark)'s :: Two 9's or Two 9sCan I say: That Bob is kind?Go to bed versus Go to sleepSome or One (Let's buy some/ones with flowers on)Phrase: Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyedQuote: He that hath wife and children...Quote: Hope is a good breakfast, but it is a bad supperFashion countable: my fashion or my fashions?Travel versus TravellingMeaning of "but I've tasted better"