supply; stock; measure; means; condition; stipulation
report
pie
provision
elaboration

Quote: Why is it that we rejoice...

What does the prefix 'inter-' mean? | 'I was about to suggest that you should…' :)
Quote: Why is it that we rejoice... #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 15, 2006 20:53 pm   Quote: Why is it that we rejoice...

Could you please help me with the bold part of the given quote?

Why is it that we rejoice at a birth and grieve at a funeral? It is because we are not the person involved.

Quote: Why is it that we rejoice... #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 15, 2006 22:16 pm   Quote: Why is it that we rejoice...

Hi Tom

I find it hard to believe that you can't figure this one out. :shock:

The sentence rephrased:
Do we do this because we're happy not to be the baby and sad not to be the dead person?

_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Quote: Why is it that we rejoice... #3 (permalink) Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:27 am   Quote: Why is it that we rejoice...

Amy wrote:
I find it hard to believe that you can't figure this one out

Dear Amy

To be honest, I did understand both sentenes but separately...You see when I try to understand them in connection with each other I get confused. :(

Not the person involved: I think, it means that you are either not that particular person or the one affected in/ by the situation.OK?

He seemed quite satisfied even after hearing the news of the accident. Maybe because he was not the person involved. Now when I look at the quote:

"Why is it that we rejoice at a birth and grieve at a funeral? It is because we are not the person involved. "(Mark Twain)

I would explain it this way:

People become happy at the birth of a child and get sorrowful at the death of a man because they are neither the child who was born nor the man who died.(Does it make sense??? :shock: )No!

Had it been this way:

We rejoice at a funeral because we are not the person involved.

...then I would have understood it.

Amy, do you understand when I am trying to explain to you?

Please give your comments.

Quote: Why is it that we rejoice... #4 (permalink) Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:10 pm   Quote: Why is it that we rejoice...

Hi Tom

Probably Twain wanted to suggest that many people would not like to relive their lives. Childhood and growing up can be difficult and filled with mistakes. People are happy not to have to repeat difficult parts of their lives.

On the other hand, Twain also suggests that people think "Thank God it wasn't me that died!" when they go to a funeral i.e., they're happy to still be alive.

_________________

Can we stand on the same site?A good many students...Be it ever so humble, there is...After a few attempts to completing the letter...Synonyms for quitExpression "From within"What does "net result" mean? And what is "nett"?Verb "to organize"Difference between secretary and secretariatImperative affirmative sentenceWho know who is who?Meaning of UnforceableMeaning of "little by way of"