excellent; wonderful; splendid; magnificent
absorbed
superb
elaborate
tight

'tail' questions (question tags)

From (Phrase: From Italy, I'll go to England) | Should: That I should see a child of mine arrested for...
'tail' questions (question tags) #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:50 am   'tail' questions (question tags)

..., isn’t it?
..., do you?

Actually, they are not questions, because usually no answer is required.

It means 'a star', doesn’t it?
It means 'a star', does it not?

Are they exactly the same and the difference only formal, or the second is a real question?

Tamara
_________________
It’s impossible to learn swimming without entering the water…
Tamara

Question tags #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:01 am   Question tags

Hi Tamara,

The uncontracted, if you like, version does it not is merely an emphatic form when you are expecting a definite response from the other person.

An example:

I'm right, aren't I ? (the usual tag)

I'm right, am I not ? is seeking a definite: Well, yes you are or No, you are not.

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Question tags #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:08 am   Question tags

Hi Alan,

So, when the uncontracted form is used, it would be wrong ( not empathic, not polite,…) NOT to give a (definite, expected) answer...

That is what I suspected. :)

Thank you, Alan.
_________________
Tamara

'tail' questions (question tags) #4 (permalink) Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:13 pm   'tail' questions (question tags)

In North America, if you use the uncontracted form, people will think you're deliberately trying to sound medieval.

I also think that in North America people usually expect an answer when they use a tag question. I notice that the British use them a lot when they don't expect or even want an answer.

Unspent criminal convictions'Just in time' versus 'In the nick of time'Meaning of on sale/go: The new model goes on sale next weekMeaning of "heart"A large number of... - singular or plural?Can you elaborate on this: You couldn't've known itStride vs stridingSingular or Plural (more any cake, no more cake)That’s it! vs That’s that!The idiom 'let off the hook'Meaning of "by Sunday"Liking verbs (wearing well, isn't it?)Some, any, anybody... exercise