answering; reacting (esp. positively or sympathetically)
responsive
located
slantwise
available

Meaning of detached

Abandon vs. leave | Mind vs. mine
Meaning of detached #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 22, 2006 23:40 pm   Meaning of detached

English Synonym, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #69 "Synonyms for lonely and alone", question 4

After his wife's death, his evenings have been long and ..........

(a) single
(b) alone
(c) solitary
(d) detached

English Synonym, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #69 "Synonyms for lonely and alone", answer 4

After his wife's death, his evenings have been long and solitary.

Correct answer: (c) solitary
_________________________

How to use the word "detached"?

Carol
Carol Gothen

Detached #2 (permalink) Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:40 am   Detached

Hi Carol,

Detached means separated from something. It is the oppoitse of attach meaning connect.

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of detached #3 (permalink) Fri May 22, 2009 14:28 pm   Meaning of detached

Hi Alan,
The answer for this question is soritary. Please explain what does it mean instead of "detached". Thanks
Kim Chi Tran
Kimchitran

Meaning of detached #4 (permalink) Fri May 22, 2009 14:34 pm   Meaning of detached

'Detached' has the sense of removed from and is used in the sense of 'detached from reality' suggesting that you live in a world of your own, removed from society.

_________________

Meaning of detached #5 (permalink) Sat May 23, 2009 10:59 am   Meaning of detached

Can you please send me some words with the meaning and in which copntext we need to use.... can you send me some words which will be very useful ...thanks,
Balankl

Location: PUNE

Meaning of detached #6 (permalink) Fri May 28, 2010 7:26 am   Meaning of detached

Could somebody give some reason why "solitary" should be chosen here ? Why not choose "alone" ? or can some other words like "lonesome" , "lone" suit in this scene??
Many thanks !!!
Zc0000

Meaning of detached #7 (permalink) Fri May 28, 2010 7:44 am   Meaning of detached

'Alone' is not the correct form.
In this context the nearest acceptable derivative of 'alone' would be 'lonely', though in this particular test example 'lonely' is not an option.
'lonely' and 'solitary' can sometimes be synonyms, and they would be interchangeable in the quoted sentence.
_________________

Meaning of detached #8 (permalink) Fri May 28, 2010 8:16 am   Meaning of detached

Hi Beeesneees , thanks for your timely response ! I still have a doubt that you said "Alone is not the correct form" ; why "alone" shouldn't be used here ? I think alone can act as a predicative as the sentence is "have been + ..... " , so I think it is reasonable to append a predicative here; as far as i know , lonely is often used to decorate a "noun" .. If you don't mind please enlighten me with a clearer sense , thanks ~~~
Zc0000

Meaning of detached #9 (permalink) Fri May 28, 2010 18:19 pm   Meaning of detached

The subject of the second sentence is 'evenings':
his evenings have been long,
his evenings have been lonely,

we would not describe evenings as 'alone'.
Evenings is a noun, so it is correct to 'decorate it' with lonely.
_________________

Meaning of detached #10 (permalink) Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:28 am   Meaning of detached

Beeesneees wrote:
his evenings have been long,
his evenings have been lonely,

Thanks a lot Beeesneees!
Sonia*

Abandon vs. leave | Mind vs. mine
Could you please describe "put him away with good" in this sentence?What does pull over mean?What does adjusting to your new job mean in this sentence?What does 'catch a faint glimpse' mean?bothered vs. disturbedshow vs restrictWhat are certain plants?I want to see if I am correct or not when filling in these blanks...I'm moving up in the company next week.like mowing the lawn?What does 'overheard' mean?I would like to know the meaning of regular basis?Meaning of you're on your own?