Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

much; plenty; large; spacious
earnest
likely
ample
managerial
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Simple past tense of the irregular verb "give"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Would you like to come | She avoided talking
listening exercisestell a friend
Simple past tense of the irregular verb "give" #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 26, 2006 19:39 pm   Simple past tense of the irregular verb "give"

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #38 "Object Pronoun", question 2

Of course I did. I gave ......... back on Tuesday.

(a) them
(b) its
(c) it

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #38 "Object Pronoun", answer 2

Of course I did. I gave it back on Tuesday.

Correct answer: (c) it

irregular verb GIVE?

Shurra
Shurra

Simple past tense of the irregular verb GIVE #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 26, 2006 20:49 pm   Simple past tense of the irregular verb GIVE

Hi

Gave is the simple past tense of the irregular verb give.

give / gave / given

Amy

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Simple past tense of the irregular verb GIVE #3 (permalink) Fri May 25, 2007 4:15 am   Simple past tense of the irregular verb GIVE

why not "I gave them back"?
Seanmen
You can meet me at english-test.net

Simple past tense of the irregular verb GIVE #4 (permalink) Fri May 25, 2007 7:44 am   Simple past tense of the irregular verb GIVE

Hi,

The 'it' refers to book, which is singular.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Simple past tense of the irregular verb GIVE #5 (permalink) Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:39 am   Simple past tense of the irregular verb GIVE

Dear Mr. Alan/Torsten

kindly guide me for the following sentences. Can we use them for these things for instance;

Kindly resolve these logs problem because we need them urgently/ Kindly resolve these logs problem because we need these logs urgently. (which one is better)

Kindly rectify these errors as we require them urgently. (is that correct?)

Kindly rectify the remainig log errors too, because it's a long time since I sent them. (is it correct sentence)
Kindly rectify the remainig log errors too, because these are pending since long. (please check this too and guide if any modification is needed)

could you please explain the actual meaning of "since long" and can we use them for long time.

thanks in advance
Misskhan
I'm here quite often ;-)

Simple past tense of the irregular verb "give" #6 (permalink) Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:19 am   Simple past tense of the irregular verb "give"

Hi, sir Allan!
Is it correct to use both 'it' and 'them'?

Of course I did. I gave them back on Tuesday.

Thank you!
: )
Kharla
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Re: Simple past tense of the irregular verb GIVE #7 (permalink) Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:28 am   Re: Simple past tense of the irregular verb GIVE

Misskhan wrote:
Kindly resolve these logs problem because we need them urgently/ Kindly resolve these logs problem because we need these logs urgently. (which one is better)

Kindly rectify these errors as we require them urgently. (is that correct?)

Kindly rectify the remainig log errors too, because it's a long time since I sent them. (is it correct sentence)

All the above are correct, but note the spelling of 'remaining'.

Quote:
Kindly rectify the remainig log errors too, because these are pending since long. (please check this too and guide if any modification is needed)

could you please explain the actual meaning of "since long" and can we use them for long time.

thanks in advance

This is incorrect, because 'since long' is incorrect.

Kindly rectify the remaining log errors too, because these have been pending for a long time.
Language Coach

Simple past tense of the irregular verb "give" #8 (permalink) Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:31 am   Simple past tense of the irregular verb "give"

Kharla wrote:
Hi, sir Allan!

Thank you!

Because you are talking about an object (it) instead of a person, you don't need a singular 'them', as there is no possible he/she confusion.
If you gave more than one thing back, then it is correct to use 'them'. If you only gave one thing back, 'it' is correct.
Language Coach

Simple past tense of the irregular verb "give" #9 (permalink) Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:14 am   Simple past tense of the irregular verb "give"

Kharla wrote:
Hi, sir Allan!

Thank you!

Hi Kharla,

I'm not quite sure what your question is about. I can only assume these sentences are used as answers to:

A Did you return that book (it)?

B Did you return those books (them)?

Is that what you wanted to ask? Both sentences are all right.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Simple past tense of the irregular verb "give" #10 (permalink) Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:29 am   Simple past tense of the irregular verb "give"

Alright sir Alan. Thank you so much.
Kharla
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Would you like to come | She avoided talking
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
serving it to his opponentWhat does throughout their shifts mean?deal withHe decided to learn ChineseYou must be so proud(a) Geology (b) Archaeology (c) Botany (d) BiologythereI'll do thatNo/notwhich sentence is correctDifference between butter and margarine?'Can you fit the pieces' vs. 'Can you match the pieces'Who is suspected of rogers murder?