Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to envision; to fantasize; to visualize; to think; to assume
fizzle
gain
imagine
chart
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"take a decision" vs. "make a decision"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
by-the-piece/one-off | please,help!
listening exercisestell a friend
"take a decision" vs. "make a decision" #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 29, 2006 19:24 pm   "take a decision" vs. "make a decision"

Hi, where do you see the difference between "take a decision" and "make a decision"? I take it both are strong collocations? Running both phrases through the British National Corpus revealed the following:

"take a decision": 27 results
"make a decision": 249 results

Prof. Google says:
"take decision": 870,000 entries
"make a desion": 15,400,000 entries

So, "make a decision" seems to be more popular but what exactly does this mean if anything?

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a professor and her student
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

"take a decision" vs. "make a decision" #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 29, 2006 19:29 pm   "take a decision" vs. "make a decision"

Hi Torsten

I think the meanings are essentially the same. I myself have never used "take a decision."

Amy

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
"take a decision" vs. "make a decision" #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 29, 2006 19:39 pm   "take a decision" vs. "make a decision"

Hi Torsten,

I don't want to be a nitpicker but I can see a shade of difference between the two. Accepting that they both mean decide. Make a decision suggests make your mind up rather than as it were sit on the fence. Take a decison is make your mind up and follow through. The reason why I pick on this is that I hear the expression used as follows: A country takes the decision to go to war. And then the war starts.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

"take a decision" vs. "make a decision" #4 (permalink) Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:52 am   "take a decision" vs. "make a decision"

Quote:
British National Corpus

:?: :?: :?:

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"take a decision" vs. "make a decision" #5 (permalink) Fri Aug 03, 2007 14:35 pm   "take a decision" vs. "make a decision"

Hi Tom,

I'm sure you know how to find the answer to your question? I mean you certainly know how to use Google?

TOEIC listening, photographs: Running into the water
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

"take a decision" vs. "make a decision" #6 (permalink) Fri Aug 03, 2007 16:38 pm   "take a decision" vs. "make a decision"

Hi Tom

Torsten's right. The British National Corpus (BNC) is easy to find with Google. The BNC is a good resource for seeing how words and phrases are used in context/sentences in British English. This is where you can do your search:
http://www.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/

This is what you can find regarding make/take a/the decision:

http://sara.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/saraWeb?qy=Take+a+decision
http://sara.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/saraWeb?qy=make+a+decision
http://sara.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/saraWeb?qy=take+the+decision
http://sara.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/saraWeb?qy=make+the+decision

The American National Corpus is still being developed:
http://www.americannationalcorpus.org/about.html

By the way, I consider the use of 'take a decision' to be something you're more likely to hear in "British English" rather than in "American English".

"take a decision" vs. "make a decision" #7 (permalink) Tue Aug 07, 2007 15:30 pm   "take a decision" vs. "make a decision"

Torsten wrote:
Hi, where do you see the difference between "take a decision" and "make a decision"? I take it both are strong collocations? Running both phrases through the British National Corpus revealed the following:

"take a desicion": 27 results

Prof. Google says:
"take decision": 870,000 entries
"make a desion": 15,400,000 entries

So, "make a decision" seems to be more popular but what exactly does this mean if anything?

Hi,Torsten!
I myself prefer "To make a decision", though one of the prefessors at the university used to correct " to make a decision " into 'to take a decision" and never told us why he did so.
Harry Smiith
I'm here quite often ;-)

"take a decision" vs. "make a decision" #8 (permalink) Tue Aug 07, 2007 16:51 pm   "take a decision" vs. "make a decision"

"To make a decision" is way more common here in the US. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever heard "to take a decision" used in its place, though I could see where it might be acceptable (Alan's explanation).

"take a decision" vs. "make a decision" #9 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 23:49 pm   "take a decision" vs. "make a decision"

I am a native speaker of British English, and the normal thing to say is "make a decision". Using "take a decision" seems to have become very common with the media and politicians in the last few years, but I've never heard anyone say it in conversation.

So if you are learning English "make a decision" is what you should say if you want to sound more native. If you were talking about yourself you could just say something like "i need to decide" eg "i need to decide which kind of chocolate cake I want for my party"

Hope this helps
Robster

"take a decision" vs. "make a decision" #10 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 23:58 pm   "take a decision" vs. "make a decision"

For me, "to make the decision" describes the act, while "to take the decision" also focuses on the responsibility.

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"take a decision" vs. "make a decision" #11 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:43 am   "take a decision" vs. "make a decision"

And my two cents is, "to make a decision" implies taking some efforts from his/her own will or need (to make a decision) while "to take a decision" just taking the responsibility or obligation from an external cause (to make a decision).
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"take a decision" vs. "make a decision" #12 (permalink) Fri Dec 12, 2008 15:05 pm   "take a decision" vs. "make a decision"

I realise this thread is a bit old now, but I have only just joined, so I'll give my penny's worth.
To me make a decision implies a more personal involvement - I have to decide within myself what is to be done.
Take a decision sounds like making a choice form a predetermined set of options.
But, frankly I'm not sure that there really is any difference beyond personal preference.
Keep up the good work,
Howard
Howard

I'm interested to learn English #13 (permalink) Fri Dec 12, 2008 15:33 pm   I'm interested to learn English

Sir,

I am amk. I'm very much interested to learn English. I have lot of doubt when I am speaking to others especially 'phonic conversation. .

Here few sentences are :

' May i speak to xxxx
'x is available ' .
'X is there .
the word avilable is correct or not
or instead of available what words is used .

thanks
Amk
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

"take a decision" vs. "make a decision" #14 (permalink) Fri Dec 12, 2008 17:49 pm   "take a decision" vs. "make a decision"

Torsten wrote:

"take a decision": 27 results

Maybe those results would be different if you spelled "decision" correctly in the first one. :wink:
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"take a decision" vs. "make a decision" #15 (permalink) Fri Dec 12, 2008 18:06 pm   "take a decision" vs. "make a decision"

You've got a point there, Jamie.

TOEFL listening discussions: How is the young woman financing her education?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

by-the-piece/one-off | please,help!
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Introducing to the boss for the first timeMeaning of "performance"?unlessDread to do vs. dread doingforget vs forget aboutrain is going to gradually stopsubsidiary vs. daughter companyHiya,nice to see you guys hereHyphen in compound wordsShe claims it is possible to deduce mattersAccording to/In your observation, are there more fat men or women?word ladder: nose to chinI understand