Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

manual; guide; guideline; document containing instructions
handbook
domestic
greenhouse
refund
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Kinds of Sentences According to Use

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
From Michael Swan: As is well known... | Hemingway reproduces the genuine...
listening exercisestell a friend
Kinds of Sentences According to Use #1 (permalink) Sun Sep 03, 2006 15:40 pm   Kinds of Sentences According to Use

Hi there everybody especially to the moderators,

I am Artem from Manila Philippines. I am an elementary teacher of the English language. Just like to ask your opinion on how are we suppose to classify sentences like Stop! Is it imperative or exclamatory? It gives command but it ends in exclamation point. This question might sound elementary but this bothers me. Thanks and More Power!
Humblecreature

Kinds of Sentences According to Use #2 (permalink) Sun Sep 03, 2006 18:31 pm   Kinds of Sentences According to Use

Hi Artem

Welcome to the forum.

Here is what The Columbia Guide to Standard American English (1993) has to say:

SENTENCE TYPES

There are two main classifications of sentences, one based on grammar (i.e., on the number and kinds of clauses they contain), the other based on rhetorical purpose or meaning. The grammatical sentence types are four: simple, compound, complex, and compound-complex. The meaning-based types are three: statement, question, and command (also called declarative, interrogative, and imperative).

What I have to say ;) is that imperative sentences can end with either a period OR an exclamation mark. If an imperative sentence ends with an exclamation mark, then the sentence is both imperative and exclamatory.

But the sentence type (according to my the above quote) would be only imperative.

Amy

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
From Michael Swan: As is well known... | Hemingway reproduces the genuine...
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Much/more (The much/most youngest children)Meaning of "but stylish clothes"At/In/On: He's is an expert at/in/on woman psychologyWhy people say "I was wondering if...Idiom: If you watch a kettle, it never boilsPronunciation of THE before vowel soundsPronunciation of loved in "loved ones"New Year resolution :)ůso much so thatůHow to tell the time? Four in the morning...For whom do you fear?Function of adverb clauseSynonyms: Anxiety, Stress and Depression