group of people working together; team
insult
sway
tackle
crew

Opposite of "punctual"

Use of good morning/afternoon/evening | 'He won’t/never set the Thames on fire'
Opposite of "punctual" #1 (permalink) Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:32 am   Opposite of "punctual"

I would like to know the opposite of the word punctual. Please see below:

1- Although his brother is regular and punctual, he is very irregular and unpunctual.

How does it sound to you?

Opposite of "punctual" #2 (permalink) Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:35 am   Opposite of "punctual"

Tom wrote:
I would like to know the opposite of the word punctual

I know unprecise
But am not sure with the example.
_________________
It’s impossible to learn swimming without entering the water…
Tamara

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Un?-punctual #3 (permalink) Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:24 am   Un?-punctual

There is no opposite word.
It depends on the context: one might say "not punctual"
"not very punctual" or "often late".
DOlier

Location: Ireland

Opposite of "punctual" #4 (permalink) Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:33 am   Opposite of "punctual"

Hi Tom

The usual opposite for punctual would be late.

I feel a little uncomfortable with "regular and punctual", so that makes saying the opposite even more difficult. ;)

Exactly what tendency (of his personality/character) did you want to call "regular"?

Here is a suggestion:
Although his brother is very dependable and always punctual, he is quite undependable and frequently late.

Note to Tamara:
The standard word would be imprecise. ;)

_________________

Would be ;) #5 (permalink) Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:08 pm   Would be ;)

Yankee wrote:
Note to Tamara:

Yes, Amy, you’re right. I often mix them up, thank you for your correction.

I know imprecise, it is widely used as a technical/Math term used in calculation.

But …'non-standard' unprecise is also in use… in fact...
Take a look, for example, at the heading: http://www.webrankinfo.com/english/seo-news/topic-301.htm
_________________
Tamara

Opposite of "punctual" #6 (permalink) Mon Sep 04, 2006 21:26 pm   Opposite of "punctual"

Hi Tamara,
I think Yankee is correct. The term "unprecise" is not good English. However wrote the example you refer to is mistaken.

Art
DOlier

Location: Ireland

Not good 'unprecise' #7 (permalink) Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:11 am   Not good 'unprecise'

Hi dOlier,

Thank you very much for your thought.
_________________
Tamara

Opposite of "punctual" #8 (permalink) Tue Sep 05, 2006 17:50 pm   Opposite of "punctual"

Tom wrote:
Although his brother is regular and punctual, he is very irregular and unpunctual.

I'd like to add something that has nothing to do with your initial question, Tom.

The use of the pronoun 'he' in the second clause might be a little confusing, I think. In fact, when first reading the sentence, I thought the second clause was still referring to 'his brother'. I'd prefer to use a noun instead:

Although his brother is regular and punctual, Tom (my new student, your friend, etc.) is often late.

As an afterthought, I'd take out 'regular'. Have you seen this definition for the word :) ?:

If you say someone is regular, you mean they excrete the contents of their bowels frequently enough, or (of women) that their period is always at approximately the same time:

The doctor asked if I was regular/if my bowel movements were regular.

Live happily ever after/ afterwardsTake care of vs. Take care withMeaning of "feet teaching"Shadowy vs. shadowedUse of until: Until I had learnt Italian, I didn't go to...Who's the oldest child IN/OF your family?What's the obstacle FOR/IN your life?With "monotonous" ease?Conditional? (an institute of learning where I could wear)At night VERSUS in the nightMuch/more (The much/most youngest children)Quote: "Problems worthy of attack..."In time versus On time