to misplace; to be deprived of; to be defeated; to fail; opposite of to win
originate
forward
lose
shop

Meaning of inventing

Confirmation email | What does the phrase "off the boat" mean?
Meaning of inventing #1 (permalink) Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:03 am   Meaning of inventing

Business English Courses, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #18 "Making an Appointment", question 4

In other words I help people with ......... their money.

(a) inviting
(b) inventing
(c) investing
(d) involving

ESL/EFL Test #18 "Making an Appointment", answer 4

In other words I help people with investing their money.

Correct answer: (c) investing
_________________________

What is inventing means?

Sallywan
Sallywan

Inventing #2 (permalink) Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:38 am   Inventing

"What does 'inventing' mean?"

'Inventing/to invent' means to create something (a new process or a new machine, for example): he invented a machine for peeling potatoes; who invented the telephone?

It also means to think up (e.g. an excuse): the children invented all kinds of excuses not to do their homework.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of inventing #3 (permalink) Wed Feb 09, 2011 14:56 pm   Meaning of inventing

Hi Conchita,

Excuse me but you explained invent/ inventing instead of invest/ investing.
By:
_________________

Meaning of inventing #4 (permalink) Wed Feb 09, 2011 15:33 pm   Meaning of inventing

Hi Kati,

Conchita explained what Sallywan asked about.

Sallywan wanted to know about 'inventing'. Possibly she already knew what 'investing' meant but wanted to know about one of the other options, even though it wasn't the correct test answer.
_________________

Meaning of inventing #5 (permalink) Wed Feb 09, 2011 15:36 pm   Meaning of inventing

Hi Kati,

Conchita doesn't post here anymore, but, as Bev has mentioned, what I see here is that Conchita answered the question that the test-taker actually asked.

If you look at the test, it seems that the test-taker got the correct answer (investing). So it would also appear that the test-taker simply wanted to know what one of the other options meant (inventing).

On the other hand, I'm a firm believer in learners investing some time in using dictionaries. So, if another learner came along and wanted to know what 'invest' meant, I might suggest that the learner first find the definition in a dictionary -- at onelook.com, for example. That's a great website for ESL students to bookmark.

One thing that Conchita could have added (and in fact DID do) is a correction of the wording in the test-taker's question: What does inventing mean?

Final comment edited by Amy. (Thanks, Bev.)
.
___________________________________
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." ~ Alan Kay
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

Meaning of inventing #6 (permalink) Wed Feb 09, 2011 16:01 pm   Meaning of inventing

Esl_Expert wrote:
One thing that Conchita could have added is a correction of the wording in the test-taker's question: What does inventing mean?

Umm...
<Bev points up at Conchita's first line and chuckles.>
_________________

Meaning of inventing #7 (permalink) Wed Feb 09, 2011 16:09 pm   Meaning of inventing

Beeesneees wrote:
Esl_Expert wrote:
Oops. Would you believe I was just testing you to make sure your powers of observation were still up to snuff, Bev?
lol

Conchita used to be a wonderful asset here. Such a shame that she left...
__________________________________________________________
"Our nation's children are our greatest asset and our most precious treasure." ~ Christopher Dodd
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

Meaning of inventing #8 (permalink) Sat Jul 09, 2011 16:29 pm   Meaning of inventing

Thanks Alan for everything:)
Natavan

Meaning of inventing #9 (permalink) Sat Jul 09, 2011 19:38 pm   Meaning of inventing

Hello Esl Expert,

It is not my way to not answer the letters. Unfortunately I've found your letter few minutes ago. It's reason that there was a period (about a half-year) when I didn't get any notes about the letters. I was knocking around english-test.net and didn't find anything.

Anyway you are right. I made a mistake through oversight and not Conchita. It wasn't characteristic of Conchita to make mistakes. She was very clear and logic. But me, in all my life I used to make mistakes through oversight. It seems to me it is true for me: "A leopard cannot change its pots."

Regards:
Kati
_________________

Meaning of inventing #10 (permalink) Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:01 am   Meaning of inventing

Hello Alan, Bez and Everybody,

I would say a big thanks to my Teachers and my pen-friends for everything. I came here to learn and not to battle against invisible, incomprehensible problems. I have too tired to continue learning in this way. Excuse me.

This is the letter what I wrote yesterday night to Torsten . If there isn't an answer there won't be change.

Hello Torsten,

This day I didn't get any letter from the forum. Now it's after midnight, I am very exhausted (because it was a hard day, I was working from dawn till dusk ) but before going to bed I was looking for among the letters for a while. I found two letters (which were written to me today) .

I don't understand that it is accidental or intentional that I didn't get letter from the Forum? Once I went through for several months without getting letters from the Forum.It was very, very difficult. For example yesterday I found a letter what I had got several months ago, and I couldn't answer because I didn't know about it.

Torsten, I am very sorry but I am very tired of this game. If you think that I have to bear again a period when I will be under punishment, I have to admit that I can't do it again.

This was the last straw that 'broke' the camel's back.

Please, inform me what is your plans with me. If you don't want to answer I understand and I will know what I have to do.

Many thanks for participating in your course. It was very useful for me.

Regards:

_________________

They promised to doI wouldn't worryI was watching TV when I heard the glass breakwe satŪ in the sunI got a sunburnDrag on???correctI can't wait to move out of this house...give me a handWhat kind of a sponge can be found in the ocean? What does it mean?lurch vs straymeaning of vacillatinga special drink vs. a specialised drink