enough; adequate
prize
sufficient
modest
rubber

Verbs collocations

comma usage | Quantity/quantities
Verbs collocations #1 (permalink) Fri Feb 15, 2013 23:49 pm   Verbs collocations

- The man came and saw/see him.

Please which of the tenses is correct? I hear folks using any of them interchangeably.

Besides, can I substitute a culprit for a miscreant? I ask this because they seem almost the same or is there a nuance?

Thanks Torsten for your assistance,
But the above portion has been left unaswered.
One more help.

_________________
Oh!, babylon, why your vampire system!?
Ebenezer Adu

Location: Land of tears

Verbs collocations #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 15, 2013 23:54 pm   Verbs collocations

Did is always followed by the based verb (the infinitive).

TOEIC short conversations: Talking about utility expenses

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Re: Verbs collocations #3 (permalink) Sat Feb 16, 2013 0:47 am   Re: Verbs collocations

Ebenezer Adu wrote:
- The man came and saw/see him.

The tenses of the two verbs should match, so it should be "saw". "see" is wrong. You may be mishearing people saying "The man came to see him", which is correct because the infinitive "see" is required in that pattern.
Dozy

Verbs collocations #4 (permalink) Sat Feb 16, 2013 13:54 pm   Verbs collocations

Hi, Dozy thanks.

One more question.
Is the INFINITIVE the same as the BASE FORM?

And is the TO-INFINITIVE the same as the INFINITIVE VERB?
_________________
Oh!, babylon, why your vampire system!?
Ebenezer Adu

Location: Land of tears

Verbs collocations #5 (permalink) Sat Feb 16, 2013 13:54 pm   Verbs collocations

Hi, Dozy thanks.

One more question.

_________________
Oh!, babylon, why your vampire system!?
Ebenezer Adu

Location: Land of tears

Verbs collocations #6 (permalink) Sat Feb 16, 2013 14:48 pm   Verbs collocations

Conceptually, the "base form" is the unmarked/uninflected form of a verb, such as is listed in a dictionary. Conceptually, the base form does not have practical use in sentences, but some verb forms that are used in sentences are identical to the base form. The bare infinitive is always identical to the base form.

The "to-infinitive" is simply the infinitive preceded by the word "to", as occurs in various patterns. I don't know what you mean by "INFINITIVE VERB", as distinct from infinitive generally.
Dozy

comma usage | Quantity/quantities
How does this writing seem ?How am I doing something wrong?few people mightYou can substitute pasta for the rice, if you prefer.With the Academy Awards seasonbut with a commaAn apple a day keeps the doctor away.consider thingsintestinal distress(make a sentence)I agree with you.downstreamColon usageWould you mind if I stayed in touch?