Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

enough; adequate
prize
sufficient
modest
rubber
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Verbs collocations

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
comma usage | Quantity/quantities
listening exercisestell a friend
Verbs collocations #1 (permalink) Fri Feb 15, 2013 23:49 pm   Verbs collocations

- The man came and saw/see him.

Please which of the tenses is correct? I hear folks using any of them interchangeably.

Besides, can I substitute a culprit for a miscreant? I ask this because they seem almost the same or is there a nuance?

Thanks Torsten for your assistance,
But the above portion has been left unaswered.
One more help.

Thanks.

Verbs collocations #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 15, 2013 23:54 pm   Verbs collocations

Did is always followed by the based verb (the infinitive).

TOEIC short conversations: Talking about utility expenses
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Re: Verbs collocations #3 (permalink) Sat Feb 16, 2013 0:47 am   Re: Verbs collocations

Ebenezer Adu wrote:
- The man came and saw/see him.

Please which of the tenses is correct? I hear folks using any of them interchangeably.

The tenses of the two verbs should match, so it should be "saw". "see" is wrong. You may be mishearing people saying "The man came to see him", which is correct because the infinitive "see" is required in that pattern.
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Verbs collocations #4 (permalink) Sat Feb 16, 2013 13:54 pm   Verbs collocations

Hi, Dozy thanks.

One more question.
Is the INFINITIVE the same as the BASE FORM?

And is the TO-INFINITIVE the same as the INFINITIVE VERB?

Verbs collocations #5 (permalink) Sat Feb 16, 2013 13:54 pm   Verbs collocations

Hi, Dozy thanks.

One more question.
Is the INFINITIVE the same as the BASE FORM?

And is the TO-INFINITIVE the same as the INFINITIVE VERB?

Verbs collocations #6 (permalink) Sat Feb 16, 2013 14:48 pm   Verbs collocations

Conceptually, the "base form" is the unmarked/uninflected form of a verb, such as is listed in a dictionary. Conceptually, the base form does not have practical use in sentences, but some verb forms that are used in sentences are identical to the base form. The bare infinitive is always identical to the base form.

The "to-infinitive" is simply the infinitive preceded by the word "to", as occurs in various patterns. I don't know what you mean by "INFINITIVE VERB", as distinct from infinitive generally.
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

comma usage | Quantity/quantities
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
How does this writing seem ?How am I doing something wrong?few people mightYou can substitute pasta for the rice, if you prefer.With the Academy Awards seasonbut with a commaAn apple a day keeps the doctor away.consider thingsintestinal distress(make a sentence)I agree with you.downstreamColon usageWould you mind if I stayed in touch?