Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

spot; tip; essence; gist; matter
disclaimer
point
crux
arrest
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

1, 5 years - One year and a half?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Have a nice new OR (new nice) weekend? | Divorse is to law what protocolity is to medicine
listening exercisestell a friend
1, 5 years - One year and a half? #1 (permalink) Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:28 am   1, 5 years - One year and a half?

Dear teachers,

When I read 1,5 years, I say:

One year and a half.

Is is right?

Quoc
Tung Quoc
I'm here quite often ;-)

1, 5 years - One year and a half? #2 (permalink) Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:14 pm   1, 5 years - One year and a half?

Hello!. Yes, you?re right.

That?s absolutely fine.

But, you could say as well:

One and a half years.

Be careful about the two options.

1.- One/a YEAR and a half.

2.- One and a half YEARS.

The noun must go in plural in the second one,
but not in the first one.

I hope this helps. Let?s wait
what say the teachers, anyway.

Enjoy English!

Jes?s
Jesus1
I'm here quite often ;-)

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
1, 5 years - One year and a half? #3 (permalink) Mon Sep 11, 2006 13:10 pm   1, 5 years - One year and a half?

Jes?s is right.

Quote:
When I read 1,5 years, I say: 1.5

One year and a half.

"One year and a half" is correct, but it is more common to say "a year and a half"

Amy

1, 5 years - One year and a half? #4 (permalink) Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:49 am   1, 5 years - One year and a half?

Dear teacher,

Can I say:

1.A year and one half.
2.One year and one half.

Is it correct?
Quoc
Tung Quoc
I'm here quite often ;-)

1, 5 years - One year and a half? #5 (permalink) Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:44 am   1, 5 years - One year and a half?

Quote:
Can I say:

1.A year and one half.
2.One year and one half.

Let's put it this way, Quoc:

Either one of those phrases could possibly be used on rare occasions if the word one needs special clarification or emphasis for some reason.

It would be wrong to use them in normal, standard sentences.

Have a nice new OR (new nice) weekend? | Divorse is to law what protocolity is to medicine
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
The preposition "on"The meaning of 'swimming with sharks'Who (Please give me a list of who's been invited)"newspapers style" is a correct expression?The meaning of 'Just about'Such as: Countries(, ) such as Brazil and Canada are largeWhat does this phrasal verb mean: 'to catch on'? Is it an idiom?Briefer: Do you normally use the comparative form from briefIng vs ed (surprising look VERSUS surprised look)Security CompanyWhen do we use the prepositions 'in' and 'at'?What is the difference between "wish" and "hope"?Meaning of 'Back is a verb'