spot; tip; essence; gist; matter
disclaimer
point
crux
arrest

1, 5 years - One year and a half?

Have a nice new OR (new nice) weekend? | Divorse is to law what protocolity is to medicine
1, 5 years - One year and a half? #1 (permalink) Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:28 am   1, 5 years - One year and a half?

Dear teachers,

When I read 1,5 years, I say:

One year and a half.

Is is right?

Quoc
Tung Quoc

1, 5 years - One year and a half? #2 (permalink) Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:14 pm   1, 5 years - One year and a half?

Hello!. Yes, you?re right.

That?s absolutely fine.

But, you could say as well:

One and a half years.

Be careful about the two options.

1.- One/a YEAR and a half.

2.- One and a half YEARS.

The noun must go in plural in the second one,
but not in the first one.

I hope this helps. Let?s wait
what say the teachers, anyway.

Enjoy English!

Jes?s
Jesus1

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
1, 5 years - One year and a half? #3 (permalink) Mon Sep 11, 2006 13:10 pm   1, 5 years - One year and a half?

Jes?s is right.

When I read 1,5 years, I say: 1.5

One year and a half.

"One year and a half" is correct, but it is more common to say "a year and a half"

_________________

1, 5 years - One year and a half? #4 (permalink) Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:49 am   1, 5 years - One year and a half?

Dear teacher,

Can I say:

1.A year and one half.
2.One year and one half.

Is it correct?
Quoc
Tung Quoc

1, 5 years - One year and a half? #5 (permalink) Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:44 am   1, 5 years - One year and a half?

Can I say:

1.A year and one half.
2.One year and one half.

Let's put it this way, Quoc:

Either one of those phrases could possibly be used on rare occasions if the word one needs special clarification or emphasis for some reason.

It would be wrong to use them in normal, standard sentences.
_________________

The preposition "on"The meaning of 'swimming with sharks'Who (Please give me a list of who's been invited)"newspapers style" is a correct expression?The meaning of 'Just about'Such as: Countries(, ) such as Brazil and Canada are largeWhat does this phrasal verb mean: 'to catch on'? Is it an idiom?Briefer: Do you normally use the comparative form from briefIng vs ed (surprising look VERSUS surprised look)Security CompanyWhen do we use the prepositions 'in' and 'at'?What is the difference between "wish" and "hope"?Meaning of 'Back is a verb'