inner; inside; inland; of a country's domestic affairs; of an individual's inner life
interior
inbound
resolute
glossy

I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward...

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Coming up with an expression | hi every one, please help me to correct this query.
I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward... #1 (permalink) Mon Sep 11, 2006 14:35 pm   I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward...

Hi, what exactly is the difference between

"I'm looking forward to hearing from you."

and

"I look forward to hearing from you."

Is it a question of formality with the simple present version being more formal than the continuous one?

Thanks in advance,
T

TOEIC listening, photographs: Business team

I'm looking forward to vs. I look forward #2 (permalink) Mon Sep 11, 2006 15:08 pm   I'm looking forward to vs. I look forward

.
That's the main difference for me, Torsten.

"I'm looking forward to hearing from you." sounds a little warmer (friendlier).

"I look forward to hearing from you." sounds a little cooler (more formal).

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
I look forward to hearing from you #3 (permalink) Mon Sep 11, 2006 15:15 pm   I look forward to hearing from you

Hi Amy,

Thanks for your quick response. It's interesting to see that in most business letters you probably will find I look forward to hearing from you, mabye that's because the phrase is regarded as a standard close?

TOEIC listening, photographs: A building site at dawn

I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward... #4 (permalink) Mon Sep 11, 2006 16:07 pm   I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward...

Hi Torsten

I think they'd both be considered "standard" and the main difference would be the relationship between the letter-writer and the recipient. It may also depend somewhat on the company culture.

I think you'd tend to see the continuous form more often when the reference is to a future meeting:
"I'm looking forward to seeing you."
"I'm looking forward to meeting you."

Because there will be future face-to-face contact, it's a more personal situation and a friendlier tone seems more appropriate to me.

_________________

I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward... #5 (permalink) Fri Apr 03, 2009 0:17 am   I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward...

hi toresten .what the best book of grammer
Nana78

Location: Lebanon

I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward... #6 (permalink) Mon Apr 06, 2009 13:35 pm   I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward...

Respected Sir,

I am happy to receive your reply. Yes really today I have learned this system how to be a good English writer.

Thank, for this kindness.
Nice Rose
Nice Rose

how about this one? #7 (permalink) Tue Apr 07, 2009 19:55 pm   how about this one?

Dear friends

I received the email with this ending sentence :

"looking forward to the pleasure of hearing from you I am,"

sender name

How do you think about this one? I mean is it odd or peculiar to write in this form? or if it is grammatically wrong?

daniel
Daniel.fardi

I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward... #8 (permalink) Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:06 am   I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward...

Respected sir,

Theses have grammatically difference like …

I'm looking forward to hearing from you (continue/ direct)

I look forward to hearing from you (present future/ indirect)

Best regards,

Nice Rose
Nice Rose

I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward... #9 (permalink) Wed Apr 08, 2009 18:57 pm   I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward...

Dear Nice

thanks for your reply,but still I couldn't get my answer !

sender

is it correct?

Daniel.fardi

I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward... #10 (permalink) Wed Apr 08, 2009 19:53 pm   I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward...

Daniel.fardi wrote:

sender

is it correct?
No. This sentence is not correct.
_________________
con·text - The part of a text or statement that surrounds a particular word or passage and determines its meaning.
Milanya

Location: Texas, USA (at present)

I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward... #11 (permalink) Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:28 am   I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward...

Hi Trosten
Thanks for your Reply. my updation is going on,Thanks for your co-operation.
Yours
Surendra
Surendra.s.kanthavara

I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward... #12 (permalink) Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:50 am   I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward...

If you got that message as a spam it may be incorrect grammer as spammers don't use correct grammer. Many of them don't have English as their mother tounge or they just want to make fun of their language too.
/Maria
MariaEbb

Location: Sweden

I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward... #13 (permalink) Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:48 am   I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward...

I can't spellcheck my messages before sending them just preview them. I am used to spellcheck messages before sending them. English is not the easiest language to spell.
/Maria
MariaEbb

Location: Sweden

I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward... #14 (permalink) Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:25 pm   I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward...

Hi Tosrten and authors of messages,

I have read all the messages on this special subject and just got to point of understanding that if someone writes a formal letter should use;

* I look forward to hearing from you.

but if this is not the case and people want to write an informal letter they should use;

* I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Besides, according to my grammar knowledges "look forward to" is a phrase and is used as it is in the first sentence.

Could someone be kind enough to elicit it a bit more please.

Best regards
Emir

I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward... #15 (permalink) Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:01 am   I'm looking forward to hearing from you vs I look forward...

Hi Torsten
I received Your e-mail and I understand You want to see my face. I´ll do my best to show You my face unfurtunatelly I usually conect the forum from the job and we dont have the necessary components to browse photography´s but I promisse to You I´ll do it as sun as possible in an internet café.
I´d like to thank You for your patient and I agree with You when you say that we are your custumers.Really You treat Us as people who pay a lot of money and most of time where we pay a lot of money We don´t find a good treatment.
Torten I´d like to ask You a favor. I want to be a English translater from Portuguese and I´d like You to send me topics that can help me to have sucssesin this challenge.
Thank You
I´m looking foward to hearing from You.
Julio
Lalas

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
persuade someone to forgive youcorrect sentence?it could have been oncautious measuresA stuffed shirtWhat did she do before sitting for the whole day?someone who fails to keep his promise(s)...a memory the size of an elephant. Correct in spoken and written English?until his teeth rattled like a zany’shi every one, please help me to correct this query.Would ratherinformal?time being