to answer; to reply; to react
ponder
neglect
stake
respond

What does "dip into my savings" mean?

the results were off the scale | Meaning of "cover"?
What does "dip into my savings" mean? #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:17 am   What does "dip into my savings" mean?

"I have had the worst time this month meeting my financial obligations. So many random occurrences keep happening that cause me to lose money. I just had to ......... into my savings again to pay a plumber to unclog my septic tank. Needless to say, that was not on the agenda," Jill told Rachel.

(a) invest
(b) divest
(c) divert
(d) dip

"I have had the worst time this month meeting my financial obligations. So many random occurrences keep happening that cause me to lose money. I just had to dip into my savings again to pay a plumber to unclog my septic tank. Needless to say, that was not on the agenda," Jill told Rachel.

Correct answer: (d) dip

"I have had the worst time this month meeting my financial obligations. So many random occurrences keep happening that cause me to lose money. I just had to invest into my savings again to pay a plumber to unclog my septic tank. Needless to say, that was not on the agenda," Jill told Rachel.
_________________________

Hi Teachers,

What does "dip into my savings" mean?

Thank you,
Vladimir.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

Meeting vs. meeting #2 (permalink) Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:28 am   Meeting vs. meeting

Hi Teachers,

I have once more question at this item of the test.

I could try to understand the meaning of the word meeting in the first item of the whole test "I didn't think he was capable of meeting the unrealistic sales goal...", but I suspect that the meaning of the same word in this item "I have had the worst time this month meeting my financial obligations." differs from the first example and I've not found it in my dictionary.

Would you explain me please both cases of using of "meeting"?

Thank you very much,
Vladimir.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does "dip into my savings" mean? #3 (permalink) Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:39 am   What does "dip into my savings" mean?

They carry the same meaning.

meeting - keeping up with
_________________

The company celebrated because they have been in business for a century.metric measuring system called the Celsius unitMalnutrition is a big problem in developing countries.she is going to be mad at you to the nth degreeand hoped that he had the available funds to cover the transactionsroom onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings accounton the shelf vs. on holdHe had a drinking problem for a while and is now on the wagonon the wagonDoes to detest mean to hate?The meaning and the usage of the word "mirage"Aurora borealis concerns specific areas, doesn't it?honors vs motions