conversion; stock market; trade; barter; conversation
focus
familiar
exchange
general

Meaning of substance

Where I can use 'too much' and where 'a lot'? | I'd simply be lying?
Meaning of substance #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:12 am   Meaning of substance

ESL/EFL Test #57 "Chit Chat: At the pub", question 5

Charles: It's very good the way he sits at the table and eats his ......... with a knife and fork.

(a) substance
(b) content
(c) sustenance
(d) food

ESL/EFL Test #57 "Chit Chat: At the pub", answer 5

Charles: It's very good the way he sits at the table and eats his food with a knife and fork.

Correct answer: (d) food
_________________________

what substance means?

AYSEG?L
ayseg?l

Substance #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:52 am   Substance

One definition of substance is: matter or material of which things can be made: polythene is a man-made substance.

It can also refer to the basis of an argument or report: there is no substance in the rumour that the minister is going to resign; this lends substance to the rumour: makes it seem more likely to be true.

Yet another meaning for the word: a woman of substance, for example, refers to a wealthy woman.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of substance #3 (permalink) Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:07 am   Meaning of substance

ayseg?l wrote:
What substance means?

Hi Ayseg?l,

In additition to Conchita's excellent explantion you might want to take a look at these two questions:

What does substance mean?
Could you please tell me what substance means?

Do you know what I mean?

TOEIC listening, photographs: Roadworks

Meaning of substance #4 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:56 am   Meaning of substance

Hi there!

I have a question here. Sustenance means food right? So we can't use sustenance instead of food?

Thank you in advance
Zellzacks

Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Meaning of substance #5 (permalink) Wed Jul 01, 2009 21:00 pm   Meaning of substance

Would you be so kind to explain the whole meaning of the sentence. Particulary "It is very good the way..." Does this mean that the way the dog seats is very good? Im really concerned about this. thanks.
Rolana

ESL test problem: As far as I know paint is 3rd singular? Why dry?What are major financial drivers?What does bottom line mean?What does 'bring forward' mean?What does gride and broom mean?Slang meanings of "nails"When will we use Which and That? What is the difference?What does 'non-credible' mean? Why don't we use non-refundable in this case?Can 'cold calling' be used in a context other than the phone call?was dressed to kill' vs 'wore her worst clothes'worry on or worry about?What does bracelets mean?Flock of sheep vs. flock of cows