Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

conversion; stock market; trade; barter; conversation
focus
familiar
exchange
general
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of substance

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Where I can use 'too much' and where 'a lot'? | I'd simply be lying?
listening exercisestell a friend
Meaning of substance #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:12 am   Meaning of substance

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #57 "Chit Chat: At the pub", question 5

Charles: It's very good the way he sits at the table and eats his ......... with a knife and fork.

(a) substance
(b) content
(c) sustenance
(d) food

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #57 "Chit Chat: At the pub", answer 5

Charles: It's very good the way he sits at the table and eats his food with a knife and fork.

Correct answer: (d) food

what substance means?

AYSEG?L
ayseg?l

Substance #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:52 am   Substance

One definition of substance is: matter or material of which things can be made: polythene is a man-made substance.

It can also refer to the basis of an argument or report: there is no substance in the rumour that the minister is going to resign; this lends substance to the rumour: makes it seem more likely to be true.

Yet another meaning for the word: a woman of substance, for example, refers to a wealthy woman.
Conchita
Language Coach

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of substance #3 (permalink) Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:07 am   Meaning of substance

ayseg?l wrote:
What substance means?

Hi Ayseg?l,

In additition to Conchita's excellent explantion you might want to take a look at these two questions:

What does substance mean?
Could you please tell me what substance means?

Do you know what I mean?

TOEIC listening, photographs: Roadworks
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Meaning of substance #4 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:56 am   Meaning of substance

Hi there!

I have a question here. Sustenance means food right? So we can't use sustenance instead of food?

Thank you in advance
Zellzacks
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Meaning of substance #5 (permalink) Wed Jul 01, 2009 21:00 pm   Meaning of substance

Would you be so kind to explain the whole meaning of the sentence. Particulary "It is very good the way..." Does this mean that the way the dog seats is very good? Im really concerned about this. thanks.
Rolana

Where I can use 'too much' and where 'a lot'? | I'd simply be lying?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
ESL test problem: As far as I know paint is 3rd singular? Why dry?What are major financial drivers?What does bottom line mean?What does 'bring forward' mean?What does gride and broom mean?Slang meanings of "nails"When will we use Which and That? What is the difference?What does 'non-credible' mean? Why don't we use non-refundable in this case?Can 'cold calling' be used in a context other than the phone call?was dressed to kill' vs 'wore her worst clothes'worry on or worry about?What does bracelets mean?Flock of sheep vs. flock of cows