to help; to assist; to promote; to be beneficial to
advantage
complete
frequent
match

Meaning of 'but not limited to'

Can are likely to have have | What is the difference between "it" and "that"?
Meaning of 'but not limited to' #1 (permalink) Tue Sep 19, 2006 15:38 pm   Meaning of 'but not limited to'

Before I knew only two patterns of 'right use' but not limited to:

1. include, but not <be> limited to, ….

For example :) : "Examples of <smth.> include, but are not limited to, the following: ... "

and
2. including, but not limited to, ….

Right now I’m reading the phrase:

"Anomalies may be found during, but not limited to, the review, test, analysis, compilation, or use of software products or applicable documentation."

Hmm.
I am sure it is the correct use, as this is one of the international (IEEE) professional standards (of the American origin :). )

But from here I see that but not limited to can be used much more easy and free – even in the formal texts.

Could you give a couple of examples of using but not (be) limited to (without include/including :)) to make me a bit more fluent with the phrase?
_________________
It’s impossible to learn swimming without entering the water…
Tamara

'but not limited to' #2 (permalink) Tue Sep 19, 2006 18:54 pm   'but not limited to'

Hi Tamara

Whatever makes you think that natives speakers automatically write well? :lol:

It's not unusual to see "but not limited to" in formal writing.
For me that would be a very typical phrase in a contract.
That's not "free and easy" usage; it's standard.

That phrase is probably preceded mainly by, but not limited to, the word including (or some form of include). :D

Regarding examples, why not just google?
-OR-
BNC:

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
'but not limited to' #3 (permalink) Tue Sep 19, 2006 19:05 pm   'but not limited to'

Hi Amy

Thank you for your help, but, as you can see from the first and last links, examples are mostly for

incude, but ...
including, but

or
during, but….

I asked for some another examples of using the pattern.

That phrase is probably preceded mainly by, but not limited to, the word including (or some form of include).

Thanks a lot for your example.

Tamara

P.S. Do you actually believe that I ask questions here before I myself had a look in Google, dictionaries, BNC, … ?
:?
_________________
Tamara

'but not limited to' #4 (permalink) Tue Sep 19, 2006 19:36 pm   'but not limited to'

Tamara wrote:
:?

No, actually not. But since but not limited to and including are basically "joined at the hip",
it's not too easy to come up with examples excluding including. :lol:
_________________

End justifies the meansWhether or notDifference between 'made of' and 'made from'All that wayIndirect speech (9)Indirect speech (7)Indirect speech (6)Indirect speech (4)Indirect speech (5)Indirect speech (3)Indirect speech (2)Lies at the coreA rejected mail for particulating tender