Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

mistake; something that is incorrect
error
reflection
alliance
area
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"fine by me" vs. "fine with me"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Who or not? | Methods of how to keep the words in my mind permanently
listening exercisestell a friend
"fine by me" vs. "fine with me" #1 (permalink) Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:11 am   "fine by me" vs. "fine with me"

Hi, what is the difference between "fine by me" and "fine with me"? The latter seems to be more popular but other than that they have the same meaning, don't they?
Hope my question is fine by you.

Regards,
Torsten

TOEIC listening, photographs: The cold cabinet
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Fine by me" vs. "fine with me" #2 (permalink) Wed Sep 20, 2006 13:00 pm   Fine by me" vs. "fine with me"

Hi Torsten

Saying "That's fine by me" sounds more informal to me, but otherwise I'd say the meanings are exactly the same.

Amy

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Fine by me" vs. "fine with me" #3 (permalink) Wed Sep 20, 2006 13:32 pm   Fine by me" vs. "fine with me"

Hi Torsten,

Fine by me sounds to me the more acceptable. Fine with me has more the sense of agreeing to a settlement as in sharing the cost of a joint venture or paying an equal share of the cost of a meal among a group of people.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Fine by me" vs. "fine with me" #4 (permalink) Wed Sep 20, 2006 13:44 pm   Fine by me" vs. "fine with me"

Interesting. I use both frequently and (as per Yankee's comment) I use by when I am being slightly more offhand. (I do share meal costs from time to time, but I seldom engage in joint ventures!)

Fine by me" vs. "fine with me" #5 (permalink) Sat Feb 28, 2009 13:45 pm   Fine by me" vs. "fine with me"

Hi Yankee,

Could I say 'fine to me'? Will the sense be similar to 'fine with/by me'? Thanks in advance. :)

"fine by me" vs. "fine with me" #6 (permalink) Sun Mar 01, 2009 0:38 am   "fine by me" vs. "fine with me"

No, not as it stands. You could say something like 'that seems fine to me', but this is a different construction.

"fine by me" vs. "fine with me" #7 (permalink) Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:44 am   "fine by me" vs. "fine with me"

Thank you for your response, Mister Micawber. : )

Who or not? | Methods of how to keep the words in my mind permanently
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
'Is any of you fond of it?' vs 'Are any of you fond of it?'every third day vs every three daysClient side meaningSentence: Come on people; we haven't got all day. It'll be time to get out...Where I can use "per se"?be and feelplace adverbialby tradition and according to traditiondeparture vs departuresWhat's the pluaral form of 'CD'?Sentence: As a boy I had a Setter named Lucky that was the moral superior...Possessive case: 'my' rather than 'I' or 'me' (He is very happy with my dating)what is the meaning of 'by for now'