mistake; something that is incorrect
error
reflection
alliance
area

"fine by me" vs. "fine with me"

Who or not? | Methods of how to keep the words in my mind permanently
"fine by me" vs. "fine with me" #1 (permalink) Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:11 am   "fine by me" vs. "fine with me"

Hi, what is the difference between "fine by me" and "fine with me"? The latter seems to be more popular but other than that they have the same meaning, don't they?
Hope my question is fine by you.

TOEIC listening, photographs: The cold cabinet

Fine by me" vs. "fine with me" #2 (permalink) Wed Sep 20, 2006 13:00 pm   Fine by me" vs. "fine with me"

Hi Torsten

Saying "That's fine by me" sounds more informal to me, but otherwise I'd say the meanings are exactly the same.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Fine by me" vs. "fine with me" #3 (permalink) Wed Sep 20, 2006 13:32 pm   Fine by me" vs. "fine with me"

Hi Torsten,

Fine by me sounds to me the more acceptable. Fine with me has more the sense of agreeing to a settlement as in sharing the cost of a joint venture or paying an equal share of the cost of a meal among a group of people.

_________________

Fine by me" vs. "fine with me" #4 (permalink) Wed Sep 20, 2006 13:44 pm   Fine by me" vs. "fine with me"

.
Interesting. I use both frequently and (as per Yankee's comment) I use by when I am being slightly more offhand. (I do share meal costs from time to time, but I seldom engage in joint ventures!)
.
_________________

Fine by me" vs. "fine with me" #5 (permalink) Sat Feb 28, 2009 13:45 pm   Fine by me" vs. "fine with me"

Hi Yankee,

Could I say 'fine to me'? Will the sense be similar to 'fine with/by me'? Thanks in advance. :)
_________________
Please feel free to correct me if you find any mistakes in my posts.
Infin1ty

Location: Beijing, China

"fine by me" vs. "fine with me" #6 (permalink) Sun Mar 01, 2009 0:38 am   "fine by me" vs. "fine with me"

.
No, not as it stands. You could say something like 'that seems fine to me', but this is a different construction.
.
_________________

"fine by me" vs. "fine with me" #7 (permalink) Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:44 am   "fine by me" vs. "fine with me"

Thank you for your response, Mister Micawber. : )
_________________
Infin1ty

Location: Beijing, China

'Is any of you fond of it?' vs 'Are any of you fond of it?'every third day vs every three daysClient side meaningSentence: Come on people; we haven't got all day. It'll be time to get out...Where I can use "per se"?be and feelplace adverbialby tradition and according to traditiondeparture vs departuresWhat's the pluaral form of 'CD'?Sentence: As a boy I had a Setter named Lucky that was the moral superior...Possessive case: 'my' rather than 'I' or 'me' (He is very happy with my dating)what is the meaning of 'by for now'