Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to stand in line; to make a row
accompany
decline
enlarge
queues
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of GMT

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Content vs contents | Affect vs effect
listening exercisestell a friend
Meaning of GMT #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:46 am   Meaning of GMT

What doea GMT mean?
Mishy
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

GMT #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:13 am   GMT

mishy wrote:
What doea GMT mean?

Hi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMT

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
GMT #3 (permalink) Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:48 am   GMT

Hi,
"Greenwich Mean Time" (GMT) is a term originally referring to mean solar time at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich in England. It is now often used to refer to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) when this is viewed as a time zone, although strictly UTC is an atomic time scale which only approximates GMT in the old sense. It is also used to refer to Universal Time (UT), which is the astronomical concept that directly replaced the original GMT.

Noon Greenwich Mean Time is not necessarily the moment when the Sun crosses the Greenwich meridian (and reaches its highest point in the sky in Greenwich) because of Earth's uneven speed in its elliptic orbit and its axial tilt. This event may be up to 16 minutes away from noon GMT (this discrepancy is known as the equation of time). The fictitious mean sun is the annual average of this nonuniform motion of the true Sun, necessitating the inclusion of mean in Greenwich Mean Time.

Historically the term "GMT" has been used with two different conventions for numbering hours. The old astronomical convention (before 1925) was to refer to noon as zero hours, whereas the civil and more modern convention is to refer to midnight as zero hours. The more specific terms "UT" and "UTC" do not suffer this ambiguity, always referring to midnight as zero hours.

Regards
Jan
by courtesy of Wikipedia
If you use UTC you make Englishmen mad and boiling
:lol:
I use UTC
Jan
I'm here quite often ;-)

Content vs contents | Affect vs effect
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Quote: You are the salt of the earth, but if the salt has...'Referred to' versus 'Referred as'A collective noun OF dragons :)Mechanisms in the brain...Meaning of "Put down"Phrasal verbs: Take vs. BringAt the hospital or in the hospital2 nights from now'A year earlier' could be 'Earlier than any given date'I did it yesterday night VERSUS I did it last nightThe night before lastYou belong to me or you belong with meWhy are addressing Alan with "Dear Sir"?