to transfer control from governmental to individual powers
identify
banquet
privatize
demand

"Grateful" versus "Thankful"

Sentence: I don't know how they differ from on meaning... | Can I write: I have understood NOW?
"Grateful" versus "Thankful" #1 (permalink) Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:38 am   "Grateful" versus "Thankful"

Grateful means that you appreciate what someone has done for you and you want to express your thanks. Thankful means that you are relieved/pleased that what you hoped for has actually happened.

In one sentence you could say: She was grateful to her teachers and also thankful that she had passed her exams.

Thank you for the explanation, Alan! :D

So, could I say that a person is thankful as a result of something? Or in th end?

Could I request for a few more examples?

Thankful/grateful #2 (permalink) Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:14 pm   Thankful/grateful

Hi Tom,

Thankful has the suggestion that you are glad that something has happened or indeed has not happened - in other words things have worked out as you had hoped.

Probably one way of understanding thankful is in the word Thanksgiving, which is a word you should ask Amy about. People often say: Thank God! when they express relief say when there has been a terrible accident and it appears no-one has been killed. One of the repeated refrains after the Christian priest has spoken about the blessings in life, is: Thanks be to God. All this of course is a far cry from: thank you/very much. The idea of being grateful is expressing thanks on as it were a humbler more human level.

_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Nothing muchWe've already been burgled 3 times this yearA baby's bedroom vs. A bedroom of the babyThatís settled itSentence: I don't know 'publication' means either the act...Countable and uncountableSingular and plural (The publication[s] department)Meaning of appointment/publicationHobby and InterestSimple present vs. present perfectHow do we use the word 'a scribe' correctly?'Fed up of' versus 'Fed up with'Well worth the day! :)