Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to transfer control from governmental to individual powers
identify
banquet
privatize
demand
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"Grateful" versus "Thankful"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Sentence: I don't know how they differ from on meaning... | Can I write: I have understood NOW?
listening exercisestell a friend
"Grateful" versus "Thankful" #1 (permalink) Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:38 am   "Grateful" versus "Thankful"

Alan wrote:
Grateful means that you appreciate what someone has done for you and you want to express your thanks. Thankful means that you are relieved/pleased that what you hoped for has actually happened.

In one sentence you could say: She was grateful to her teachers and also thankful that she had passed her exams.

Thank you for the explanation, Alan! :D

So, could I say that a person is thankful as a result of something? Or in th end?

Could I request for a few more examples?

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Thankful/grateful #2 (permalink) Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:14 pm   Thankful/grateful

Hi Tom,

Thankful has the suggestion that you are glad that something has happened or indeed has not happened - in other words things have worked out as you had hoped.

Probably one way of understanding thankful is in the word Thanksgiving, which is a word you should ask Amy about. People often say: Thank God! when they express relief say when there has been a terrible accident and it appears no-one has been killed. One of the repeated refrains after the Christian priest has spoken about the blessings in life, is: Thanks be to God. All this of course is a far cry from: thank you/very much. The idea of being grateful is expressing thanks on as it were a humbler more human level.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Sentence: I don't know how they differ from on meaning... | Can I write: I have understood NOW?
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Nothing muchWe've already been burgled 3 times this yearA baby's bedroom vs. A bedroom of the babyThatís settled itSentence: I don't know 'publication' means either the act...Countable and uncountableSingular and plural (The publication[s] department)Meaning of appointment/publicationHobby and InterestSimple present vs. present perfectHow do we use the word 'a scribe' correctly?'Fed up of' versus 'Fed up with'Well worth the day! :)