Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

number with a fixed value; factor
complaint
must
agenda
constant
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

I listened attentively

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Which vs. who | Meaning of "At any time whatsoever"
listening exercisestell a friend
I listened attentively #16 (permalink) Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:14 am   I listened attentively

I am eager to know, why is it incorrect: I was listening attentively to the lecture on philosophy but I still didn't understand much of it.
Tymchuksvet
You can meet me at english-test.net

I listened attentively #17 (permalink) Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:19 am   I listened attentively

Hi,

It seems all right to me. 'Was listening' (past continuous) suggests a continuous action and 'didn't understand' is the past simple because verbs like 'understand' have within their meaning a continuous element and are therefore not usually used in the continuous form. Is that what you were worried about?

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
I listened attentively #18 (permalink) Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:03 am   I listened attentively

I have a question
I listened attentively to the lecture on philosophy but I still didn't understand much of it.

If I write the follow , will it be right?
I was listening attentively to the lecture on philosophy but I still didn't understand much of it.
thanks
Lili6

I listened attentively #19 (permalink) Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:06 am   I listened attentively

Hi,

Both are fine.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

I listened attentively #20 (permalink) Mon Mar 14, 2011 21:53 pm   I listened attentively

Thanks a lot. now everything is clear to me
Tymchuksvet

I listened attentively #21 (permalink) Mon Mar 14, 2011 21:56 pm   I listened attentively

tell me please, is it correct sentence - TOO high temperature is dangerouse
Tymchuksvet

I listened attentively #22 (permalink) Mon Mar 14, 2011 21:57 pm   I listened attentively

Alan wrote:
Hi,

It seems all right to me. 'Was listening' (past continuous) suggests a continuous action and 'didn't understand' is the past simple because verbs like 'understand' have within their meaning a continuous element and are therefore not usually used in the continuous form. Is that what you were worried about?

Alan
Tymchuksvet

I listened attentively #23 (permalink) Mon Mar 14, 2011 22:00 pm   I listened attentively

your explanation is super helpful
Tymchuksvet

I listened attentively #24 (permalink) Mon Mar 14, 2011 22:01 pm   I listened attentively

Too high a temperature can be dangerous.
A temperature which is too high can be dangerous.
Language Coach

I listened attentively #25 (permalink) Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:48 am   I listened attentively

Thank you a lot))) Tell me please, is it correct - Recently in our region appeared a lot of new chemists. THE therapist examined THE patient and said that he would recover in A FEW DAYS
Tymchuksvet

I listened attentively #26 (permalink) Tue Mar 15, 2011 14:09 pm   I listened attentively

Hi,

For balance in the sentence, I would add 'there' as in 'there appeared'. Otherwise the sentence looks fine.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

I listened attentively #27 (permalink) Tue Mar 15, 2011 16:09 pm   I listened attentively

Sorry, but I cannot understand why do we need to use "there" in this sentence
Tymchuksvet

I listened attentively #28 (permalink) Tue Mar 15, 2011 16:40 pm   I listened attentively

Hi,

The reason why I suggested adding there was because the subject and verb are inverted. In other words 'appeared a lot of' in place of 'a lot of ...appeared'. That's why I suggested adding 'there' to balance the sentence.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

I listened attentively #29 (permalink) Tue Mar 15, 2011 19:06 pm   I listened attentively

It's again me) I need your help, tell me please - He have a rest or has?
Tymchuksvet

I listened attentively #30 (permalink) Tue Mar 15, 2011 19:15 pm   I listened attentively

He has a rest.
He will have a rest later.
Language Coach

Which vs. who | Meaning of "At any time whatsoever"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
The function of 'Beginning'???folders created automaticallyHanding down all her clothes?meaning of grateConvey vs. moveDifference between appearance and apparitionMeaning of 'try me'Why is correct "She must be very healthy"?"How are you doing?" vs. "How do you do?"Names of countriesDifference between interrupt and interfereFrench vs. the FrenchI listened attentively, page 4