to cause not to happen; to avert; to delay; to impede; to hinder
sponsor
travel
prevent
border

is this sentence correct ??

Some readers categorize Maxine Hong Kingston as | back to work
is this sentence correct ?? #1 (permalink) Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:08 am   is this sentence correct ??

sentence- "being sensitive to people around and yet being strong is a rare quality "
i wanna know if the sentence is grammatically correct or not ??

ps: i always doubt my sentences even the correct ones sometimes due to self blaming all the time anyways .
in the above sentence i want to convey that there are many people who are sensitive to their surrounding but not sensitive to themselves and they feel weak and some people are sensitive to themselves feeling strong but are insensitive to people around them
so ..being both sensitive and strong is a rare quality that i appreciate a lot .

pps: just let me know if the above sentence is correct or not ..thnx :)
Medhavi27

is this sentence correct ?? #2 (permalink) Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:46 am   is this sentence correct ??

Personally I, wouldn’t correct it grammatically.
"Great and good are seldom the same man" was once said by a man who knew a thing or two...
Eugene2114

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Re: is this sentence correct ?? #3 (permalink) Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:39 am   Re: is this sentence correct ??

Medhavi27 wrote:

The content is plausible, but the sentence needs punctuation.
Being sensitive to people around, and yet being strong, is a rare quality.
A further improvement could be made by extending it slightly:
Being sensitive to the people around us, and yet remaining strong, is a rare quality.

Note that all sentences begin with a capital letter and end with a full stop or equivalent mark. The pronoun 'I' is also always written as a capital letter.
Your own question should be:
I want to know if the sentence is grammatically correct or not?

Perhaps a good way to start removing the doubt would be to make an effort to punctuate the sentences correctly when you write them.
Your sentence above should be written:
I always doubt my sentences, even the correct ones sometimes, due to self-blaming all the time anyway.

Perhaps you'd like to try re-writing the above paragraph, paying due attention to:
use of capital letters,
use of commas and full stops,
avoidance of non-standard punctuation (such as two dots or double question marks),
correction of punctuation space errors. (The space comes after a full stop or comma, not before it.)

I presume you mean, "thanks". Please avoid using text message standards when you are not writing a text message.
_________________

Re: is this sentence correct ?? #4 (permalink) Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:49 am   Re: is this sentence correct ??

Beeesneees wrote:
the sentence needs punctuation.

Thank you, Bev, for the corrections. Still would you settle for 'being sensitive to the people around'? (I envisaged someone would insist on a pronoun).
Is the comma before 'and' obligatory (has it anything to do with 'Oxford comma')?
Eugene2114

is this sentence correct ?? #5 (permalink) Fri Aug 30, 2013 17:05 pm   is this sentence correct ??

I would happily settle for 'being sensitive to the people around'.
I feel the commas help to draw the distinction between the two parts. I would not omit it, though I would say it has more to do with the separation of clauses (where the second clause begins with a conjunction) and is a combination of these two aspects. My understanding of an Oxford comma is rather different as I believe it comes before the 'and' at the final item in a list of three or more things.
_________________

Should know betteras to whetherEach individual perceive flavour differently.have reached/am reachedstanding ovation vs. standing ovationsRole versus Applicationwhat would you sayWhat's the figure?figure on somebody?plan IIa planif nota different light