Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

thin and flat object
card
attire
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Expression: "Out in left field mean"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Expression: "Go walking" | Expressions: It seems necessary / To be necessary
listening exercisestell a friend
Expression: "Out in left field mean" #1 (permalink) Sun Oct 15, 2006 21:38 pm   Expression: "Out in left field mean"

Hi

Could you please tell me if the expression given below is an idiom or what? What does it really mean? Is it common in everyday English?

Out in left field mean

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Expression: "Out in left field mean" #2 (permalink) Sun Oct 15, 2006 22:03 pm   Expression: "Out in left field mean"

Hi Tom

Yes, that expression is very well-known in the US.
You can find it here (scroll down to left field)

His plan was really out in left field. (His plan was strange or out of touch with reality.)
His criticism came out of left field. (The criticism was unexpected.)

The preposition between out and left field sometimes changes. And sometimes the word way is used before out to indicate extreme strangeness:

way out in left field

What was the sentence/context you found this in?

Amy

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Expression: "Out in left field mean" #3 (permalink) Sun Oct 15, 2006 22:17 pm   Expression: "Out in left field mean"

Amy wrote:
What was the sentence/context you found this in?

In one of the old posts by jailbird. I suppose she was an active member of this forum in 2004. She seemed very interested in idioms and proverbs. I took this idiom from her post.

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Expression: "Out in left field mean" #4 (permalink) Sun Oct 15, 2006 22:19 pm   Expression: "Out in left field mean"

Amy wrote:
His criticism came out of left field

Amy, is it same as:

"His criticism came out of the blue."?

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Expression: "Out in left field mean" #5 (permalink) Sun Oct 15, 2006 22:59 pm   Expression: "Out in left field mean"

Tom wrote:
Amy wrote:
His criticism came out of left field

Amy, is it same as:

"His criticism came out of the blue."?

It could be very similar, but I'd say there is usually some aspect of strangeness or irrationality also associated with "came out of left field".

Amy

Expression: "Go walking" | Expressions: It seems necessary / To be necessary
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Well-behaved?'Savvy users' techies again? :)What does it mean to go behind the conclusion?The use of the comma: 'When Sam Winters returned...''Next year' VERSUS 'The next year'If you google "for corporate"Meaning of foundationIdiom: "Beef it up"For the first time VERSUS The first time'Don't give in without a fight' Pink FloydRefastening a notebookExpression: Not altogether a...Twice as expensive as VERSUS Twice more expensive as