to treat someone new in a humiliating manner; to harass; to humiliate
rush
regard
pay
haze

Expression: Up until now

Sentence: He's been through enough already, and with any further stress... | I have posted a postal order in to your adress? - it is correct?
Expression: Up until now #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:36 am   Expression: Up until now

I am getting entangled again :)

Up until now – the expression that I hear and read quite often.
But it's not a 'dictionary' phrase like 'so far', 'by now', 'as yet', 'till now', etc.,
or just 'up to now'

1. What additional meaning up adds to until now? Could you give some comments about it?

2. Moreover, I can see that there is some 'grammatical tradition' :) to use different (synonymous) expressions depending on positivity of the statement itself.

Adv. 1. until now - used in negative ( :shock: ) statements to describe a situation that has existed up to this point or up to the present time; "So far he hasn't called"; "the sun isn’t up yet" Synonyms: so far, thus far, up to now, hitherto, heretofore, as yet, yet, till now

Amyway, I meet 'up until now' mainly in positive statements. Like:

His campaign went so well up until now.
Even up until now, comparatively few books have been written about him.

Could you say which synonymous phrases from the above dictionary list can be used in these two sentences with no change in their meanings?
_________________
It’s impossible to learn swimming without entering the water…
Tamara

Up till/until now #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:23 am   Up till/until now

Morning Tamara,

I hope you'll forgive me being flippant but your typo has created an interesting new expression: amyway (anyway) suggesting the way in which Amy explains something. I like it!

But to your point. The expressions: till/until now and up till/up until now both suggest the idea of from the start/beginning to the present time. The addition of 'up' simply indicates that whatever follows has obtained/existed right to the present moment. If you imagine a line marking the junction to a main road, you drive up to that white line and stop. If you imagine a deadline by which an application must be sent and you leave sending that application to the last moment, you are waiting up till the last posting time before you put the letter in the postbox.

Both constructions can be positive or negative:

Up until now you have been able to buy this online.

Up until now you have been unable to buy this online
.

As for an alternative, I could suggest: To date -

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Just up #3 (permalink) Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:53 am   Just up

Morning Alan,

Thanks a lot.
Aha, that’s not a fixed phrase and up is just 'up'. Good to hear.

Ala… er... um... Anyway, I have a problem to use up in a situation like you gave ('up to that white line') – when the road with thaaat white line goes down (when we, in fact, have two 'dimensions', direction of movement and the real slope of the road).
:(
_________________
Tamara

Expression: Up until now #4 (permalink) Mon Oct 16, 2006 20:34 pm   Expression: Up until now

up till/up until

Dear Alan

I have never seen the usage of up till. Could you please tell me if the following sentences sound OK to you?

1- Up till now he had been in charge here.
2- The water came up till his neck.

If the sentences given above sound odd, could you please use up till in your own sentences?

Expression: Up until now #5 (permalink) Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:30 am   Expression: Up until now

Hi Tom,

No, the following doesn't work, I'm afraid:

The water came up till his neck.

We have to use till and until with time expressions.

_________________

Expression: Up until now #6 (permalink) Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:58 am   Expression: Up until now

Thank you, Alan.

Last question.

Are both of the following sentences same?

2- Until now he had been in charge here.

Expression: Up until now #7 (permalink) Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:01 am   Expression: Up until now

.
Yes, they're the same, Tom.

You could also say:
3- Till now he had been in charge here.

_________________

Expression: Up until now #8 (permalink) Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:18 am   Expression: Up until now

Hi Tom

Your use of past perfect in the last two sentences is interesting (and correct).

I'm running out of time right now, but I'll write more later.

_________________

Expression: Up until now #9 (permalink) Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:39 am   Expression: Up until now

I would end my questions here with a request for a few examples of up till from you!

Do yu find the following OK?

1- Up till 2004, we lived happily.
2- She was not married up till this Monday.
3- She irritated him up till he was furious. (To me, until sounds better here)
4- They lived together up till his death.
5- Up till then, I had never tasted a burger.

Expression: Up until now #10 (permalink) Tue Oct 17, 2006 22:21 pm   Expression: Up until now

Hi Tom

Here are a few comments about your sentences (in blue):

1- Up till 2004, we lived happily. OK

2- She was not married up till this Monday. Why did you use this and not last?

Until (or just 'till') sounds better to me, too.

4- They lived together up till his death. OK

5- Up till then, I had never tasted a burger. OK

Here are a few more sentences. I avoided using "up till now" even though that is probably the most common collocation.

- She studied up till dawn, then fell asleep and slept through the test.
- My normal weight was 110 pounds up till 5 years ago, but since then I've had trouble keeping my weight under 125.
- This PC is much better than the one I'd been using up till last June.

_________________

Expression: Up until now #11 (permalink) Tue Oct 20, 2009 15:23 pm   Expression: Up until now

Hi, Tom,

I was wondering why you had decided to use past perfect in your second post on this topic (Up till now he had been in charge here.)

Would you please comment on that becuase it seems unobvious to me.

Moreover, I have a comment on the 3rd sentence in your last post in this topic (She irritated him up till he was furious.) Why not use "got furious" instead of "was furious"? It is not a permanent state of the person mentioned which became known and which started being manifested soon after her irritating him.

Yurii
Yurko2006

what time would you be available today? or when would you be available? or wouldtow sentences with the same meaningat home and in house/ kite stuckEnglish course vs. English classA report ... today by two environmental organizationsEnglish Test for a postThe Present Perfect tense with just, this afternoon and todayA moment of revelry?has such (a) long hair?Predicate nominative/adjectiveBenificial to or forAccountability or responsibility"Vietnamese Women's Day" or "Vietnam Women's Day"?