office; bureau; institution; franchise; method
availability
agency
average
number

'high spot' versus 'high point'

Idiom: "head over heels" | Use of the article "a"
'high spot' versus 'high point' #1 (permalink) Wed Oct 18, 2006 14:23 pm   'high spot' versus 'high point'

ESL/EFL Test #56 "High and Low", question 6

The really high ......... of the evening's entertainment was when two clowns came into the ring and started throwing things at each other.

(a) thing
(b) feature
(c) place
(d) spot

ESL/EFL Test #56 "High and Low", answer 6

The really high spot of the evening's entertainment was when two clowns came into the ring and started throwing things at each other.

Correct answer: (d) spot

The really high feature of the evening's entertainment was when two clowns came into the ring and started throwing things at each other.
_________________________

You're wrong.
I've never heard anyone say "high spot" of the evening. I've heard "high point" but never spot, perhaps you meant high point?

Marcel
Marcel

'high spot' versus 'high point' #2 (permalink) Wed Oct 18, 2006 14:34 pm   'high spot' versus 'high point'

.
Have a look at ONE LOOK DICTIONARY SEARCH-- always a good place to check before you make absolute statements. Just because you've never heard a word or phrase does not mean it is nonexistent.

Yes, high point exists as its synonym as well.
.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
'high spot' versus 'high point' #3 (permalink) Wed Oct 18, 2006 14:53 pm   'high spot' versus 'high point'

Hi Marcel, in addition to Mister Micawber's answer I'd like to point out that it's always a good idea to find out more about the author of a certain phrase.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Greetings

Idiom: make a mountain out of a molehillIdiom: make a mintChange vs. modifyExchange vs. transmitDifference between stuck and fixExpression: to be pleased withPrepositions of timeExpression: be good atWhy we "put down" it's not clear to meFictitious vs. fictionalUse the word by before the reflexive pronounIs 'massacred' to be used for number of people only?Meaning of delighted