Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

sparing of words; terse; pithy; concise
exotic
laconic
artful
copious
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Ielts Task 2, Compulsory Unpaid Community services for students, please Score

TOEFL Practice tests Increase your TOEFL test score with
120 Vocabulary + 100 Grammar tests
600 TOEFL flashcards plus an ESL book
ESL Forums | Preparation for and help with the TOEFLŪ Test and essay samples collection
Why do people attend college/university? | Integrated Writing: Having a team is good or bad?
listening exercisestell a friend
Ielts Task 2, Compulsory Unpaid Community services for students, Pls Score #1 (permalink) Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:29 am   Ielts Task 2, Compulsory Unpaid Community services for students, please Score

Some people believe that unpaid community service should be a compulsory part of high school programmes (for example working for a charity, improving the neighbourhood or teaching sports to younger children)
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
==================================================

Although, at the first glance, some people may think it is a good idea to force high school students to participate in unpaid community services, because they could learn valuable lessons from humanitarian activities, it neither could be justified nor it is practical. From my point of view, this measure would not be fruited properly due to various flaws of the strategy which are clarified in the following paragraphs.

Firstly, there is no denying that obligation is against the soul of philanthropic activities, It is not morally right to oblige senior students to have contribution to working for charity, enhancing the neighbourhood or instructing kids in sport. It is believed that these types of rewarding tasks should be voluntarily performed.

Secondly, we should think about the efficiency of the measure in advance. Imagine unpaid community service is a mandatory part of high school curriculum. In this milieu, all students may be participated into these actions, but due to their unwillingness for conducting the tasks, undoubtedly, outcome would not be satisfying.

Last but not least in the opposition to this measure is we have to ask why students should do this. It is none of their business to work for charity or train younger generation without earning any money. Instead they have to focus on their academic courses. This is governments responsibility to effectively address this issue. There is definite budget for managing society public services; therefore, a portion of that can be spent to handle these philanthropic works effectively.

In conclusion, one can say making unpaid community services as an obligatory part of high school curricula in not a wise decision, since it would not bring us any acceptable achievement.

TOEFL listening discussions: What did the young man do during his last holiday?
Naser_Nasr
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Re: Ielts Task 2, Compulsory Unpaid Community services for students, please Score #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 06, 2013 17:33 pm   Re: Ielts Task 2, Compulsory Unpaid Community services for students, please Score

Hi Naser, I thought your writing in this essay was very good. I don't think your content was quite as high quality though. Your first paragraph seemed unsupported and your second paragraph seemed to portray a very similar idea. I think including more detailed examples to support your reasons would have been good. As I said, you only had few errors in your writing and your essay was clear and understandable. Probably would rate a 4, but maybe a 3.5 due to the content issues.

Naser_Nasr wrote:
Some people believe that unpaid community service should be a compulsory part of high school programmes (for example working for a charity, improving the neighbourhood or teaching sports to younger children)
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
==================================================

Although, at the first glance,{this is an idiom - "the" would make sense, but is not used here} some people may think it is a good idea to force high school students to participate in unpaid community services,[service] because they could learn valuable lessons from humanitarian activities, it neither could be justified nor it is [is it] {only "nor" uses this format - "and it is", "or it is", but "nor is it"} practical. From my point of view, this measure would not be fruited {"fruited" is wrong here - what do you mean?} properly due to various flaws of the strategy which are clarified in the following paragraphs.{I would leave out this last phrase}

Firstly, there is no denying that obligation is against the soul of philanthropic activities, It is not morally right to oblige senior students {this would be students in their final year of high school or college - is that what you meant?} to [contribute] have contribution to working {or "to make a contribution by working"} for charity, enhancing the neighbourhood or instructing kids in sport. It is believed that these types of rewarding tasks should be voluntarily performed. {this is sort of an unsupported statement - could you give some convincing evidence?}

Secondly, we should think about the efficiency{"efficacy" is better here} of the measure in advance. Imagine unpaid community service is a mandatory part of [the] high school curriculum. In this milieu, all students may be [forced to ] participated into [in] these actions, but due to their unwillingness for[in] conducting {or better, unwillingness to conduct} the tasks, undoubtedly, outcome would not be satisfying. {this seems like the exact same reason as paragraph 1, but at least here you provide some support}

Last but not least[,] in the opposition to this measure is we have to ask why students should do this. It is none of their business {"none of their business" is not quite right here - it means something that doesn't concern you or that you are not supposed to know - better to say "it is not in their best interest"} to work for charity or train [the] younger generation {or "members of the younger generation"} without earning any money. Instead they have to focus on their academic courses. This[It] is government['s] responsibility to effectively address this issue. There is [a] definite{"defined" seems better here} budget for managing society public services; therefore, a portion of that can be spent to handle these philanthropic works {"this philanthropic work" is better} effectively.

In conclusion, one can say making unpaid community services as an obligatory part of high school curricula in not a wise decision, since it would not bring us any acceptable achievement.{this last phrase sounds odd, plus exactly who is "us"?}

TOEFL listening discussions: What did the young man do during his last holiday?
Luschen
I'm a Communicator ;-)

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHere is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Ielts Task 2, Compulsory Unpaid Community services for students, please Score #3 (permalink) Wed Dec 11, 2013 14:38 pm   Ielts Task 2, Compulsory Unpaid Community services for students, please Score

Dear Luschen,

Thank a million.
Yes I agree that sometimes I cannot come up with new ideas. Thus, I should think more before starting my essay.

Best wishes
Naser_Nasr
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Why do people attend college/university? | Integrated Writing: Having a team is good or bad?
ESL Forums | Preparation for and help with the TOEFLŪ Test and essay samples collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on TOEFL Test Forums
Ways to learn historyYoung people leave rural areas for cities. Please rate!The most important aspect of a job is money. Please help me to correct and rate.What is one of the most important decisions you have made? Why was this decisionEssay: Progress is always good? Agree or disagree. Please ratePlease rate this: keeping old friends is more important than making new friendsCompare and contrasr different types of transportation.Role of Public libraries. [IELTS Essay - Please rate on scale of 0-9]Topic: always telling the truth is important?IELTS Essay - Public libraries should only provide books and should not waste theEssay: online learningTOEFLŪ TPO11, task2 , The effect of the Internet on people's lives.The first days of my career