act of ordering in advance (hotel room, airline ticket, etc.)
vat
bill
introduction
reservation

Question words / Open questions (Unit 10)

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

ESL Forum | English for Beginners
'used to something' vs 'used to doing' and Present perfect | Verb 'Be' (Unit 2)
Question words / Open questions (Unit 10) #1 (permalink) Fri Nov 26, 2004 22:35 pm   Question words / Open questions (Unit 10)

Hi everybody!

I have some questions for you
:
:D

Who hates ice-cream?
What does 'love' mean?
Which is more important: fun or work?
Where are the limits of the sky?
When does the winter end exactly?
Why is a banana yellow?
Whose is the internet?
How do compasses work?

You employ who when you need information about a person.
You employ what when you need information about something, usually an object.
You employ which when you mean precise aspects.
You employ where when you ask a question about place.
You employ when when you ask a question about time.
You employ why when you want to know the reasons for something.
You employ whose when you ask a question about the owner of something.
You employ how when you ask a question about the manner of something.

Be careful: When you employ 'who' you use the main verb and not the verb 'to do'!

Do you also have some questions like mine? Just ask them. There might be someone who can answer them! :D

In Unit 11 you are going to learn how to tell the time.
Sunny

Location: Sunshine State

Unit 10 - Question words --> open questions #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 03, 2004 16:24 pm   Unit 10 - Question words --> open questions

How are regular your lessons?

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Question words / Open questions (Unit 10) #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 03, 2004 19:03 pm   Question words / Open questions (Unit 10)

I try to post a lesson once a week and I think the next one will be on tomorrow. :)

Regards Sunny
Sunny

Location: Sunshine State

Question words / Open questions (Unit 10) #4 (permalink) Fri Dec 03, 2004 19:09 pm   Question words / Open questions (Unit 10)

sunny wrote:

Regards Sunny

You told that you are not a teacher. Why did you decide to prepear these lessons?

Unit 10 - Question words --> open questions #5 (permalink) Fri Dec 03, 2004 19:18 pm   Unit 10 - Question words --> open questions

sunny wrote:
Hi everybody!

I have some questions for you
:
:D

Who hates ice-cream?
What does 'love' mean?
Which is more important: fun or work?
Where are the limits of the sky?
When does the winter end exactly?
Why is a banana yellow?
Whose is the internet?
How do compasses work?

answer those questions...alrighty i will here we go

a) i dont hate icecream
b) love doesnt have an exact definition, but it means to cherish a person and hold them close to you, such as you love your parents, what you interpret is what it means to you
c) fun and work are both important, both things should be only taken to a certain degree. Work comes first then play unless you win the lottery then you can play all day
d) if you mean what are the limits of the sky, in technical terms its limit is the outter ozone layer after that you reach outer space. in a mental sense it means you only go as far as you want to, and saying the sky is the limit, you can accopmlish anything you like because not many people reach the top of the sky without a space shuttle
e) winter ends when the first day of spring beings haha,
f) who cares if a banana is yellow or not? odd question if you ask me, but if you really want to know, ask a biologist and see the pigment coloration
g)whose is the internet? first off that question doesnt make any sense, and the internet doesnt belong to anyone in particular that i know of, internet means interconnected network of network,so whoever hosts a website that part of the internet belongs to them
h)a compass works on the magnetic charge, thats why if you go to a hydro power station it will go crazy because of the high levels of magitism in that area

hope that helps :)
Yo

Location: Canada eh

Question words / Open questions (Unit 10) #6 (permalink) Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:55 am   Question words / Open questions (Unit 10)

I am not a teacher yet, but I would like to be one :)
Besides, I have fun doing this and I hope you have fun following the lessons, too!

Yo, thanks for your answers :) They sound perfectly plausible, but well... I still would like to know why a banana is yellow... :D

Sunny
Sunny

Location: Sunshine State

Question words / Open questions (Unit 10) #7 (permalink) Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:08 am   Question words / Open questions (Unit 10)

It is not correct that a question with WHO never takes the auxiliary 'do/does/did'.
It depends if the answer refers to the subject or the object.

eg. subject answer.

John lives in Italy.
Who lives in Italy?
The answer is the subject, John and so there is no 'do/does/did'.
That is, it is not 'Who does live in Italy?'

However, where the answer is the object, then 'do/does/did' is used.
eg. object answer

John saw Peter yesterday.
Who did John see yesterday?
The answer is the object, that is, Peter.
It is incorrect to say, 'Who John see/saw yesterday?'
In this case, the auxiliary 'do/does/did' is used.

Christopher Kennedy
christopher

Question words / Open questions (Unit 10) #8 (permalink) Wed Jun 25, 2008 14:59 pm   Question words / Open questions (Unit 10)

nice set of questions...thanks for posting..i could use this...
Eslkorea

Question words / Open questions (Unit 10) #9 (permalink) Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:36 pm   Question words / Open questions (Unit 10)

SIR WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE B/W MAIN VERB&THE VERB"TO do".REALLY LOT OF CONFUSIONS.
-PLEASE REPLY ME
Swathi

Question words / Open questions (Unit 10) #10 (permalink) Fri Jul 18, 2008 13:52 pm   Question words / Open questions (Unit 10)

Hi swathi,

The 'main verb' is the verb that carries meaning. Without this verb, a sentence doesn't work.

'to do' is the infinitive verb form. Just imagine 'to' used as a pre-announcement of a verb.
_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Learn more: How to Become an English Teacher
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

Question words / Open questions (Unit 10) #11 (permalink) Sun Jul 20, 2008 13:38 pm   Question words / Open questions (Unit 10)

thank you,sir.
Swathi

Question words / Open questions (Unit 10) #12 (permalink) Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:18 am   Question words / Open questions (Unit 10)

Hello sir,
please can you explain when i can use whom and while.
thanks a lot.
tola
Tolanic

Question words / Open questions (Unit 10) #13 (permalink) Sun Aug 03, 2008 14:33 pm   Question words / Open questions (Unit 10)

hello sir ,
thnx for the lesson , it is so easy :D
Froty

Location: Cairo, egypt

Question words / Open questions (Unit 10) #14 (permalink) Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:20 am   Question words / Open questions (Unit 10)

Who wants to be millionair?
What does your father do?
Which is better:going alone or with my friend?
Where are the gifts you told me about? :)
When you tell me that you love?
Why one apple a day keeps the doctor away?
Whose car is this?
How old are you?
Micho

Question words / Open questions (Unit 10) #15 (permalink) Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:17 am   Question words / Open questions (Unit 10)

why I can not answer the question , why I have not the right to share in this page ? what is useful if I had not to prepare any thing or to do any thing , how I can devlop or proceed ?.........etc , How much the time does I need to get a total member and have a right in writing , reply comments , others , please reply those questioneers to my address in yahoo
_________________
MMA
Mohammad Ahmad

Location: Iraq

ESL Forum | English for Beginners All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Grammar sentenceCorrect usage to say - saturday morning was come. from tom sawyer adventure.Does the 3 years of physical presence have to be continuous or accumulation?Superlative form of Adjective and personality.offThey have to match up their liesintroduce myrselfWhat is the correct and why to say?I'm a fourth year studentanswer the questionsClausesI am Mahboobeh, I am working as quality expert at a computer company...Present Perfect (Unit 16)