textile; weave; structure; framework; construction
encounter
contract
monitor
fabric

Why not use "timing" here?

Idiom: make a mountain out of a molehill | Idiom: I can't be doing with it
Why not use "timing" here? #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 19, 2006 16:46 pm   Why not use "timing" here?

ESL/EFL Test #136 "Office Technology Problems", question 7

The average total time lost at work every day was over two hours, of which an hour and a half was because communication technology was not used to good ..........

(a) condition
(b) effect
(c) management
(d) timing

ESL/EFL Test #136 "Office Technology Problems", answer 7

The average total time lost at work every day was over two hours, of which an hour and a half was because communication technology was not used to good effect.

Correct answer: (b) effect

The average total time lost at work every day was over two hours, of which an hour and a half was because communication technology was not used to good timing.
_________________________

I have two questions, as follows:
1) Why not use "timing 'here ? Because "timing" has a meaning of as a way of achieving the desired result . If the communication techonology wasn't used well, it will waste people's working time ,too.
2) Why use the prep "to " after "... was not used "? Can I use "for" ?

Many thanks!!!!!!

F.F
FangFang

Why not use "timing" here? #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 19, 2006 23:37 pm   Why not use "timing" here?

.
Hello, FF.

It is not a matter of meaning, but of collocation and/or set phrase.

The phrase is '[use] to good effect'. To use something to good effect is to do so effectively or with success.

That is why neither timing nor for will fit into this sentence; the phrases thus created would be odd or inappropriate. To good timing has no meaning for me; for good effect means for the purpose of impressing someone.
.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
On business versus on jobMeaning of penchantPartake versus intakeLent instead of borrowedMeaning of despatchedMeaning and usage of the word "slip"Did you do versus Had you doFlight was delayed vs. flight had delayedWhy fit but not suit?Idiom: make a mintChange vs. modifyExchange vs. transmitDifference between stuck and fix