successive; uninterrupted; permanent
either
retail
continuous
last

Expression: 'That is to say'

Expression: as from tomorrow | Mighty man :)
Expression: 'That is to say' #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 23, 2006 22:56 pm   Expression: 'That is to say'

Could you please tell me if the expression that is to say common both in written and spoken English? What does it really mean? Could you please use it in a sentence for me? Is it synonymous with that said?

That is to say vs. that said #2 (permalink) Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:46 pm   That is to say vs. that said

That is to say means 'in other words', 'or more exactly', 'or to put it another way' or 'I mean'.

We're only human -- that is to say, we don't always think with our head.

That said has a different meaning -- it is used in the sense of 'having said that' or 'however'.

He can be quite moody at times. That said, he is very generous and helpful.

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
That is to say vs. that said #3 (permalink) Tue Oct 24, 2006 17:08 pm   That is to say vs. that said

Can I consider that in writing i.e. is an acceptable equivalent for That is to say?
_________________
It’s impossible to learn swimming without entering the water…
Tamara

That is to say vs. that said #4 (permalink) Tue Oct 24, 2006 22:14 pm   That is to say vs. that said

Tamara wrote:

Yes, that's it exactly, Tamara.

Expression: 'That is to say' #5 (permalink) Tue Oct 24, 2006 22:39 pm   Expression: 'That is to say'

Tamara wrote:

Sorry, but I could not understand Tamara's question--nor Conchita's answer for that matter. What is Tamara asking?

I.e #6 (permalink) Tue Oct 24, 2006 22:50 pm   I.e

Oh, dear! Sorry, Tom! Don't you hate it when people seem to be speaking in some kind of code?

'i.e.' stands for the Latin 'id est', which means 'that is (to say)' or 'in other words', as Tamara rightly assumed.

Meaning of term "nethics"She hopes vs. she is hoping'Log in' versus 'Log on'A bone to pickA bottle of water versus A cup of coffeeRedoubled: two or four times increased, in total?Let or allow?Expression: 'An attention to detail'Did it myself vs. Did it by myselfAbout 'get by on'. Can the phrasal verb have objects?Move on, move and move ahead - interchangeable?English financial conditions=financial conditions in EnglandOpposite of 'Burn'