Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

successive; uninterrupted; permanent
either
retail
continuous
last
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Expression: 'That is to say'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Expression: as from tomorrow | Mighty man :)
listening exercisestell a friend
Expression: 'That is to say' #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 23, 2006 22:56 pm   Expression: 'That is to say'

Hi

Could you please tell me if the expression that is to say common both in written and spoken English? What does it really mean? Could you please use it in a sentence for me? Is it synonymous with that said?

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

That is to say vs. that said #2 (permalink) Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:46 pm   That is to say vs. that said

That is to say means 'in other words', 'or more exactly', 'or to put it another way' or 'I mean'.

We're only human -- that is to say, we don't always think with our head.

That said has a different meaning -- it is used in the sense of 'having said that' or 'however'.

He can be quite moody at times. That said, he is very generous and helpful.
Conchita
Language Coach

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
That is to say vs. that said #3 (permalink) Tue Oct 24, 2006 17:08 pm   That is to say vs. that said

Can I consider that in writing i.e. is an acceptable equivalent for That is to say?

That is to say vs. that said #4 (permalink) Tue Oct 24, 2006 22:14 pm   That is to say vs. that said

Tamara wrote:
Can I consider that in writing i.e. is an acceptable equivalent for That is to say?

Yes, that's it exactly, Tamara.
Conchita
Language Coach

Expression: 'That is to say' #5 (permalink) Tue Oct 24, 2006 22:39 pm   Expression: 'That is to say'

Tamara wrote:

Sorry, but I could not understand Tamara's question--nor Conchita's answer for that matter. What is Tamara asking?

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

I.e #6 (permalink) Tue Oct 24, 2006 22:50 pm   I.e

Oh, dear! Sorry, Tom! Don't you hate it when people seem to be speaking in some kind of code?

'i.e.' stands for the Latin 'id est', which means 'that is (to say)' or 'in other words', as Tamara rightly assumed.
Conchita
Language Coach

Expression: as from tomorrow | Mighty man :)
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Meaning of term "nethics"She hopes vs. she is hoping'Log in' versus 'Log on'A bone to pickA bottle of water versus A cup of coffeeRedoubled: two or four times increased, in total?Let or allow?Expression: 'An attention to detail'Did it myself vs. Did it by myselfAbout 'get by on'. Can the phrasal verb have objects?Move on, move and move ahead - interchangeable?English financial conditions=financial conditions in EnglandOpposite of 'Burn'