bloody; murderous
sanguinary
egregious
laconic
adverse

TOEFL® Essay: Knowledge gained from books vs. Knowledge from experiences

Need advice for TOEFL® Speaking Section | Writing in IELTS: The idea of having a single career is becoming an old fashioned
TOEFL Essay: Knowledge gained from books vs. Knowledge from experiences #1 (permalink) Tue Oct 24, 2006 17:00 pm   TOEFL Essay: Knowledge gained from books vs. Knowledge from experiences

TOEFL Essay

Knowledge gained from books vs. Knowledge gained from experiences.

People are learning and developing throughout their whole lives, they have gained knowledge not only from books but also from practice and experience. In my opinion, both basic knowledge from books and new discovery from experience are important. Following reasons could explain why.

On the one hand, books hold all knowledge gained by previous generations. Basically, people inherited this holder of humankind’s experience. This source of knowledge usually can not be changed, in particular history books that were written on real events and real people. For example, we can assess to information about 2nd World War just by use of books, not our experiences. Moreover, before make new discoveries in certain science, people have to acquire fundamental knowledge about the previous achievements from books. Thus, we can not create the Television without basic knowledge on Micro electric.

On the other hand, I think that “the truth comes from practice and experience”. The knowledge from experience helps us as much as those from books. For instance, at old times people thought that Earth was flat, but it was concluded from observations and measurement that we are living on a global planet. There are a lot new inventions and new products which could not be found from textbooks. Our society and world are developed through continuous practices, those knowledge, never found in books, such as internet, e-business etc. are all developed through new practices.

In conclusion, I might say that people are continually assessing the creditability of the knowledge written in books and discovering new things by experiences. Both of these sources are important, and it is essential to know how to combine them.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a bookstore sales clerk and a student
Hannah

TOEFL Essay: Knowledge gained from books vs Knowledge gained #2 (permalink) Wed Oct 25, 2006 19:05 pm   TOEFL Essay: Knowledge gained from books vs Knowledge gained

People are learning and developing throughout their whole lives, they have gained knowledge not only from books but also from practice and experience. In my opinion, both basic knowledge from books and new discovery from experience are important. THE Following reasons could explain why.

On the one hand, books hold all knowledge gained by previous generations. Basically, people inherited this holder/COLLECTION of human(kind’s) experience. This source of knowledge usually cannot be changed, in particular history books that were written on/ABOUT real events and real people. For example, we can assess to/ACCESS information about 2nd World War just by THE use of books, not our experiences. Moreover, before makING new discoveries in certain scienceS people have to acquire fundamental knowledge about the previous achievements from books. Thus, we cannot create (the) Television without A basic knowledge on/OF Micro electricS.

On the other hand, I think that “the truth comes from practice and experience”. The knowledge from experience helps us as much as those/THAT from books. For instance, at old times/IN THE PAST people thought that THE Earth was flat, but it was concluded from observations and measurement that we are living on a global planet. There are a lot OF new inventions and new products which could not be found from textbooks. Our society and world are developed through continuous practices, those/THAT knowledge, IS never found in books, such asTHE internet, e-business etc. are/IT IS all developed through new practices.

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemStart exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
knowledge #3 (permalink) Sat Aug 25, 2007 0:17 am   knowledge

I think your essay is very good and your ideas are very clear.
Sofimartinez87

TOEFL® sample essay: Which historical person would you like to meet and why?TOEFL® essay: What is your approach to problem-solving, and how does it work...Can you explain the way my TOEFL® essay should be constructed?Can anyone send me the best TOEFL® essay samples as an example of...TOEFL® essay sample: Russian Autocracy; Ivan IV and Peter IITOEFL® essay: Art, music, drama should be a part of every child’s basic educationTOEFL® essays: As computers are being used more and more in education...TOEFL® new markingTOEFL® Essay: In your opinion, what is the most important characteristic...Something interesting: mistake in 'The Official Guide to the New TOEFL® iBT'How you guys practicing for the TOEFL® speaking section?TOEFL® reading score: Could someone help me?Free sample TOEFL® test HOW to get one?