Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to agree; to reconcile; to be in concert with
harmonize
founder
nurse
secure
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Want to find out who drove the red car | Meaning of 'most out of'?
listening exercisestell a friend
Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:49 am   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

Test No. incompl/elem-15 "An Easy Question", question 1

What exercise do you like doing ......... of all?

(a) next
(b) best
(c) after
(d) before

Test No. incompl/elem-15 "An Easy Question", answer 1

What exercise do you like doing best of all?

Correct answer: (b) best

Your answer was: incorrect
What exercise do you like doing before of all?

why is best ? I chosen 'before'?

Dima
Dima

Best #2 (permalink) Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:42 am   Best

You cannot say before of all - two prepositions here do not make sense. You need best because this is the superlative form meaning the most favourite.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Best #3 (permalink) Thu Aug 16, 2007 21:40 pm   Best

Alan wrote:
You cannot say before of all - two prepositions here do not make sense. You need best because this is the superlative form meaning the
most favourite

Why I can't say," next of all" you said the sentence is the superlative form, But how can I to know it, there have not " the" to show it. What's wrong if I choose next of all? Could you explain more for me?Thank You.
MadokaLiu

Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #4 (permalink) Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:16 am   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

why I can not use after all.
Manjula

Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #5 (permalink) Sun May 31, 2009 15:38 pm   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

Can i use 'most of all' instead 'best of all'?
Schwartz
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #6 (permalink) Sun May 31, 2009 16:12 pm   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

Schwartz, You can in everyday conversation, but that was not included in the list of possible answers.

Best #7 (permalink) Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:24 am   Best

My thoughts: The word "like" in this context is not a verb transitive. It is not like X dislike.In this case "..like doing the best of all" means an expression "to like better". If I think about the verb transitive "to like" I would answer "after of all". Because only after to do all exercise I can choose each one I like more than another one. Am I right to thing like (one more like to mess up) that???

Ops! I don't think I was clear in my question, but I hope you can understand it.
Livia Mackie

Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #8 (permalink) Fri Dec 25, 2009 17:40 pm   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

why we can't use after here
Rizawn

Test #9 (permalink) Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:54 am   Test

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

249 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Please listen to my recording and respond with a voice message too. Many thanks.

Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #10 (permalink) Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:44 am   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

Hi Torsten,

I got 7 out of 10, i think i am improving from my state, thank you , for be with me and thank you for helping this much....
Kumaran

Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #11 (permalink) Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:05 am   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

Hi, Torsten

Please explain what the exaclty rule for using " best" before of all. At first, i understand the meaning when translate; however, what is the rule?
Pets.62

Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #12 (permalink) Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:12 am   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

confusion!!!
Koupu

Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #13 (permalink) Sat May 21, 2011 11:27 am   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

Hello,

I got 6 of 10. I still don't understand. Why "next of all" is the wrong answer? I's so wonder!!!!!
Pengbunheang

Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #14 (permalink) Sat May 21, 2011 11:36 am   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

Hi Peng,

"Best of all" is a set phrase which means 'the most favourite' as Alan has already explained. As for the use of 'next', please take a look at the following examples:
Which exercise would you like to do next?
What's next?

On TV you might read the following phrase: "Up next: The weather report"

TOEIC listening, photographs: A small girl with a basket
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Is this a set phrase: "best of all"? #15 (permalink) Sat May 21, 2011 12:24 pm   Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?

Hello,

I still not so sure. If we say best of all ( it means first of all), and next of all ( it means secently), right? if so, how can we know it's the first sentence of the text?
Pengbunheang

Want to find out who drove the red car | Meaning of 'most out of'?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Why use "all of the flowers" instead of "all the flowers"?testing times vs. testable timesExpression: Would you mind ifMeaning of grantingWhy won and not ended?What does blow mean?Meaning of "I almost drowned"Meaning of "You never did"Difference between turn and turningAt the end of the roadDifference between finish and endDifference between finished and endedWhat does this phrasal verb mean: "Make it up"?